• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANNY

thessee

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my tranny? I have an 88 xj with 4.0 and AW4. The problem is after I drove through lots of deep snow, now it will only shift at 3500 rpms and the torque converter dont wanna lock up. it will lock in third at 50mph usually it locks in OD at 40. Tranny fluid looks good and smells good and no linkages are binding and i adjusted the TV cable with no luck:skull1:

is it pre op or post op?

sorry, had to with the title and all.

Generally shift problems with a renix era AW4 are caused by the TPS, or the TCU under the dash not getting power. SInce you state you drove through some deep snow you might also want to check the range selector switch on the side of the trans, possible that it's gotten water or something in it and isn't reporting the correct gear selection to the TCU.

The TCU is a yellow box under the dash in the passenger footwell.
The range selector is also called a neutral safety switch, if you search that here you'l find tons of info on removing it, taking it apart and cleaning it. I'd do that last after checking the TPS and such. If you break it, it is quite expensive to replace, unless you can get one in the yard.

The renix (87-90) TCU is silver grey, not yellow.

I agree on testing and cleaning the NSS. Also the TPS square plug that talks to the TCU should be tested for proper readings.

The renix (87-90) TCU is silver grey, not yellow.

I agree on testing and cleaning the NSS. Also the TPS square plug that talks to the TCU should be tested for proper readings.

thanks for the correction. I sent that poor guy looking for a yellow one. He's probably still under the dash...

thanks for the help guys i havent even really looked at it yet and i knew which box you were talkin about i have been in there a time or two lol the yellow one is to the cruise control. i took the inline fuse out that is next to the tcu and it shifts manually just fine

Back