• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure sending unit

Sflxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my 96 XJ. The part came with thread sealant on it. I didn't screw it in all the way since it was a nice tight fit. Should I screw it in until it seats or is it ok the way it is?

I just replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my 96 XJ. The part came with thread sealant on it. I didn't screw it in all the way since it was a nice tight fit. Should I screw it in until it seats or is it ok the way it is?

It's a tapered pipe thread. Screw it in finger-tight, then turn with a wrench two flats past finger tight (1/3-turn.) That should be plenty - no sense in getting stupid with it...

Well I'm somewhere between two flats past finger tight and fully seated. No leaks so I think I'm ok. Thanks for the advice.

Did you find it difficult to get it out? What tools did you use?

Thanks

Came out very easy. I used a large SAE open end wrench although I think the sender is actually metric. By the way, I broke the old sender when I was taking the oil filter off with a filter wrench.

Back