• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Case spreader/locker install

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone local to north Orange County with a Dana 30 case spreader? Wanna give me a hand with my Spartan locker install?

I was able to get the carrier to release for the bearing seats but can't get it any further. Tried the rag between the pinon and ring trick but that didn't work.

Maybe I just need to bring home a bigger hammer from work.

what about the rag trick failed? not able to turn the ring far enough to pop it loose?

if so try putting the axles back in, the tcase in N and rolling the jeep a little bit to get it to pop loose.

I got one if needed in yorba linda, but I have Never needed it on a D30. as kevin mentioned. a prybar on the cover face to the ring gear bolts. or a bar on top and one on the bottom from the cover face to the carrier openings...

Last edited:
Your carrier is probably cocked. There I said it. =) Try using a dead blow to hit it back in to make it square again and use 2 pry bars like RobertK said.

Eah I've always been a little XXXX-eyed

I've worn glasses since the 5th grade.

I just built one for my Aussie install.

we tried every trick in the book to get it out, not a chance.
and even if we did get it out there was no way it is going back in.

Here is what I built.
IMGP5280.jpg

a 6-ton bottle jack goes in between the 2 tabs on the bottom. the Top is extra long because I thought I could adapt it to just about any case size.

hopefully I can use it tomorrow. if it works out, I'd ship it to you for as long as you need it. :D

Whoa....

You do know that you can Easily damage the housing with going beyond about .020 spread. With a bottle jack your going to really be puching being able to guage that?

I have done over 80, dana 30s last year (did the math a few days ago) and not one did I have to use a spreader.

But if you DO use something to spread it, be very carefull, they are only a Dana 30 dont forget...

Well I just got home and brought a bigger hammer from work. We'll see how it goes.

ya know the issue half the time with a hard to remove carrier is the stupid over applied sealer that dana uses at the factory to seal the tubes to the center. After you get the carrier out, remove the big ring of goey silicone between the carrier bearings and the seals...

Arrrrrrghhhhhhh!

Victory is mine!

Whoa....

You do know that you can Easily damage the housing with going beyond about .020 spread. With a bottle jack your going to really be puching being able to guage that?

I have done over 80, dana 30s last year (did the math a few days ago) and not one did I have to use a spreader.

But if you DO use something to spread it, be very carefull, they are only a Dana 30 dont forget...

I'm not worried about it... I don't plan on jacking the hell out of it; just enough to slip the case out.

I have done about 5 of these in YJ's and XJ's and mine is the only one we need the spreader for. I think it has something to do with it being re-geared at 4wheel parts...bastards:gee:

I'm considering putting it back in with one less shim; probably not since I don't want to go through the trouble of re-setting the gear pattern.

I'm not worried about it... I don't plan on jacking the hell out of it; just enough to slip the case out.

I have done about 5 of these in YJ's and XJ's and mine is the only one we need the spreader for. I think it has something to do with it being re-geared at 4wheel parts...bastards:gee:
Yb
I'm considering putting it back in with one less shim; probably not since I don't want to go through the trouble of re-setting the gear pattern.
If it was that tight due to bearing preload, you better check the bearings. Too much preload can ruin them.

If it was that tight due to bearing preload, you better check the bearings. Too much preload can ruin them.

everything will be thoroughly inspected when I get the case apart...

I'm hoping that the preload was just on the heavy side... .015 is supposedly the max, but it feels like its going to be higher than that.

Back