• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know, it's stupid... but I need suggestions.

helliphinon8

NAXJA Forum User
I have a built 98 XJ with 132,000mi that is need of an engine cleaning. I know not to spray into the air ducts, electrical, and all that sh!t, but is there anything else that I need to be careful with while cleaning my engine with a high pressure car wash gun?? Sorry, I've never had to screw with a vehicle this new, hence my stupid question. I'm also replacing a radiator and wondering what else I should do while the radiator is out.(i.e. water pump, belt, etc..) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

N8

Just don't spray high pressure anywhere near the air box, intake or anything electrical.

Personally, I use 'B52'. Spray that stuff on there while the engine is hot, wait a few minutes and spray it off with a garden hose... Beautiful!

I would avoid high pressure and just use some well-placed oven cleaner. Get the smelly cheap stuff, not the "no fumes" stuff. Wear gloves and a mask. Don't get it on rubber. Rub it in a little with a gloved hand. Rinse off...done!

I have a built 98 XJ with 132,000mi that is need of an engine cleaning. I know not to spray into the air ducts, electrical, and all that sh!t, but is there anything else that I need to be careful with while cleaning my engine with a high pressure car wash gun??

Especially avoid getting the TPS wet. Here's what I've done in the past:

- Remove the air filter. If water gets into the airbox, it's no big deal, but better to keep the filter from getting soaked.

- Undo the air tube at both ends. Block the airbox side off with rags and reattach. On the throttle body side, put the closed end of a plastic bag inside. Reseal and clamp to throttle body with the open end of the bag over the linkages, TPS, etc. This won't give 100% protection against pressurised water for the TPS, but it's better than nothing.

- Remove plug wires (label them first), put a heavy plastic bag over the distributor and zip-tie / clamp it down at the open end.

- Pack rags in around the spark plugs. Keep a can of compressed air (keyboard cleaner works great for this) around to blow out any residual water in the plug holes. If you haven't recently checked your plugs, give them a quick torque-down to make sure they're flush against the head.

- Avoid hitting grounds with water under pressure directly. This is a good way to find out how effective they really are, particularly around the crappy factory braided ground straps.

Remember to take all that stuff out of your intake after reattaching the plug wires but before you start it up ;)

Sorry, I've never had to screw with a vehicle this new, hence my stupid question. I'm also replacing a radiator and wondering what else I should do while the radiator is out.(i.e. water pump, belt, etc..) Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

It's really not much different to any other vehicle overall, with the added caveat of the TPS.

If you're pulling the radiator, hitting the water pump, serpentine belt, fan clutch, and alternator can be a good idea depending on condition. Definitely replace the hoses - if you need a radiator, you almost certainly need hoses.

Last edited:
- Remove plug wires (label them first), put a heavy plastic bag over the distributor.
Yep... some distributor caps don't have a gasket under them, possibly even most. This is real important.

I simply don't a pressure washer at all, or water, as it promotes RUST!

I use an aerosol foam emulsion spray on oil soaked areas only first, like the block, stay away from the alternator, starter, ALL the sensors, including the O2 sensor, TPS, ECU-PCM, relay box, .....and so on. I then use brake cleaner, aerosol (perchlor formula, fast dry, does not eat paint, non-flammable),to rinse off the emulsified mess. Perch in Aerosol brake cleaner is still legal Texas. I use paper rags to catch / collect the mess.

Pick up some of this in the smallest jug you can buy:
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner-plus-d103.html

And something like this (get the cheapest one possible, should be >$5):
http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-special.html

Dilute the the all purpose cleaner 5:1 with water, soak the cold engine and let it sit for 10-15. Dip the brush, start scrubbing, rinse repeat until its clean. That APC is very economical, you can use it on EVERYTHING in your cars. Engines, interiors, exteriors, rims/wheels, etc...There should be no need to use a high pressure hose with this stuff :) Garden hose pressure without a nozzle on it will be just fine. Those chemicals should be availible at any parts store. Just ask for the smallest container of whatever all purpose cleaner they sell. In this case, all that really matters is $/size.

Definitely replace the water pump. New only, never reman here. It isn't an expensive part and as long as you have the cooling system broke down. Thermostat is an absolute as well. 195 degrees.

Hoses, belt as needed.

Back