• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter adapter question

azwnbfpro

NAXJA Forum User
I'm needing to change the oil filter adapter seals on my '98 xj. The local auto parts store has a kit for this, but the kit only says it's for 1987 - 1996 jeep xj 4.0 liter. Will this work on my 1998?

My xj is a 1998 4.0 liter, auto tranny, sport 4x4.

Thanks for any advice.

same... they are under ten bucks almost everywhere afaik.

I believe the Dorman HELP! branded set fits just about every jeep ever made but I'm not sure. It has like ten o-rings in it.

I'd second the above. Last time I got the seals for my 95 it was something like seven bucks. The 87 adapter is greatly different from the later ones, so a kit for all years must either have extra pieces in it or be wrong somewhere.

same... they are under ten bucks almost everywhere afaik.

I believe the Dorman HELP! branded set fits just about every jeep ever made but I'm not sure. It has like ten o-rings in it.

I got the Dorman kit and the only o-ring that actually fit was the big one. I had the others already in a cheap harbor freight o-ring kit. I was ordering some other stuff from Rock Auto so I just added it to the order. Next time, it'll be the dealer.

The doorman kit has some of the 87 orings, but is missing one. Had to go to the dealer for it. It was not expensive.

For my '98 I got Mopar O-ring Kit part # 1-04720363.
It's got all 3 properly sized O-rings and cost all of
$8 at the dealer. No hassles. No doubts.

Will replace the O rings on my 87 this weekend. They don't come in a kit.
Here are the part numbers: 33002970, 3300297,33002972. About $11.50

I am also replacing the metric E connector, and going to SAE. Part number
is 53007563AB. This will allow the use of a larger filter, keep the 5/8" adapter attaching bolt, and keep the filter vertical.

this is one of the few items it might be best to get at the dealership. Last time I did this the correct set for my 95 was about 6 bucks. You could, perhaps, get them cheaper on line, but if the dealer has them on the shelf, you're well off.

Back