• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater control valve leaking

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 93 auto 212k miles on it.

Just replaced the heater control valve a month or so ago. On really cold mornings when warming up I noticed that it would leak coolant a bit but then stop and was fine the rest of the day.

Today there's a puddle under there... haven't driven it at all. Usually on cold days it only happened when it was warming up, not if it wasn't being used.

Seems to be leaking from the part where the metal arm goes in and the screw under it. Both screws are tight... any ideas what could cause it? Faulty unit?

Do I look for my receipt and return it to Napa auto?

mms_picture8-1.jpg

Yes, they do that. Unfortunately they are cheap plastic crap IMHO. I don't know why Jeep ever allowed that chintzy valve to be put into the system. That's why I eliminated them on both my RENIX rigs when I converted to the open system (like you have). 4 less places to leak (5 if you count the valve itself) and no possibility of the thing grenading on the road.

If you eliminate it what is the effect? Your heater will still work right? Just constantly has coolant flowing through it? Any bad things come from removing it?

Yes if you eliminate it then the coolant will always flow through the heater core. However there is a blend door under the dash that determines how much air is blown through the heater core versus the A/C evaporator core. The blend door does not shut off air to the heater core completely, so you will have some hot air down there that will make the A/C less effective but it won't break it or anything.

Some of the RENIX-era XJs had a metal heater core valve that's the same basic shape. They are about $70 at NAPA, part number BK 6601224. It's on the list of things I am wanting to do, since I eliminated the plastic valve last winter.

Yes if you eliminate it then the coolant will always flow through the heater core. However there is a blend door under the dash that determines how much air is blown through the heater core versus the A/C evaporator core. The blend door does not shut off air to the heater core completely, so you will have some hot air down there that will make the A/C less effective but it won't break it or anything.

Some of the RENIX-era XJs had a metal heater core valve that's the same basic shape. They are about $70 at NAPA, part number BK 6601224. It's on the list of things I am wanting to do, since I eliminated the plastic valve last winter.

I have not experienced less effective AC as a result of eliminating the valves on 3 Jeeps. In summer here in Arizona, my wife's Jeep blows 42* air out the vents on a 90* day.

Back