• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Renix No Start

x*BIGASSALEX*j

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, so I did my HW and now I have just hit a brick wall.
I did the "old_man" xj trouble shoot instructions and still have no progress.

I have an 87 Renix XJ 4.0L , last year I was wheeling and it just turned off on me, it has not been a year and I just got to it.

This is what I have done:

New CPS
Check plugs, they look nice and are dry..(not floded)
Check fuel line (nice lil squirt)
Checked Dist and cap (nice and new)
Distributor spins
replaced coil
new battery
checked map (it works)
disconnected ECU and reconnected

All this and still no spark..it turns it just wont stay on. Any ideas or other recommendations of what it can be?

Last edited:
To confirm, you have VERIFIED that there is no spark right?

If you don't have spark, ignition control module (under coil) still in play.

Did you clean the C101 connector?

just to make sure you replaced the sensor on the bellhousing? and that none of the wires are melted and shorting on the exhaust.

Finally got spark.. it was the Ignition Module... now it wont stay on... Freaking Fuel pump took a dump

If it runs for a second after turning the key, then dies when the key is released, the ballast resistor max98059 mentions is in play.

That resistor is bypassed when the key is in the "start" position.

Test or bypass the resistor to see if that is your problem. It is there only to reduce noise in the fuel pump circuit and not really necessary. Later models didn't have this resistor.

If it runs for a second after turning the key, then dies when the key is released, the ballast resistor max98059 mentions is in play.

That resistor is bypassed when the key is in the "start" position.

Test or bypass the resistor to see if that is your problem. It is there only to reduce noise in the fuel pump circuit and not really necessary. Later models didn't have this resistor.

an 87 should not have the ballast resistor, unless it was added by a dealer due to customer noise complaints.

Things to check that control the fuel pump:
fusible link, I think it's red/green. Can't remember off hand
The ASD/latch relay.

The 4.0s came out with no resisitor in 87. There were customer complaints about fuel pump noise so a TSB was issued so the dealers could install a kit adding the resistor. Pretty sure 88 through 90 Renix all had the resistor. Mine do. Can't remember if 91 on did or not.

The 4.0s came out with no resisitor in 87. There were customer complaints about fuel pump noise so a TSB was issued so the dealers could install a kit adding the resistor. Pretty sure 88 through 90 Renix all had the resistor. Mine do. Can't remember if 91 on did or not.

Learn something every day!!! I do think I've seen thread evidence of the ballast resistor lasting until 1993. Anyone that can confirm this, please chime in!

Learn something every day!!! I do think I've seen thread evidence of the ballast resistor lasting until 1993. Anyone that can confirm this, please chime in!

The 95 FSM states that it was eliminated in 94. HOWEVER, my memory screams 93 at me. Do I trust my worn out, addle headed memory or the FSM?

Back