• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHAT 4WD tranny FITS IN A 97 XJ?

pd code 805d

NAXJA Forum User
i have heard 98-01 but i have also heard 96-97 were their own models....

will someone that has a 97 please tell me a part number for their tranny...lol

looks like 96-97 is correct.

i have heard 98-01 but i have also heard 96-97 were their own models....

will someone that has a 97 please tell me a part number for their tranny...lol

Auto? AW4 were mostly the same after about 91. The 5 speed was switched out for a 3550 in the later years. AX-15 and Puegot in other years.

98 and newer have dual speed sensors, and the one on the t-case won't read with a 97 down computer

98 and newer have dual speed sensors, and the one on the t-case won't read with a 97 down computer

On the transmission? Or two in general?

98 up has one on t-case and one in the transmission. Stupid OBDII!

So does my 94..... the tranny one feeds the computer the t case one feeds the spedo. That predates OBD II.

I put a 98 in my 97 when I converted from 2wd, it works but the CEL is on I think the 98 has a 14 pin plug and the 97 has a 12 pin. When it's time for smog I'll swap back in the 2wd 97, or convert the 97 2wd AW4 to 4wd with some of the parts from the 98 AW4...

I'm not saying they won't work, but you can run in to issues that may take a little while to solve before it's all good. Just easier to get a drop in.

Technically 91 up should bolt in, for ease on overall installation 96-97 will be best. If you don't mind chasing potential OBDII issues, then 98 up will work.

Best to stick with 96-97 to be sure the install goes well.

why 96-97 though. wasnt 1991 the same ? did they really change the parts that much? I wish i had a 1997 4wd i could get the part number to cross reference it.

OBDI vs OBDII

95 and down have a separate TCU, 96 up they are combined with the engine computer in to one unit.

Again, not saying it can't be done, but if check engine lights will prevent you from registering your vehicle, then it's best to stock with drop in.

I'm fairly certain ATL has emissioms testing, so unless it's offroad only you really want to make sure it goes in clean, stick with 96-97.

Its not the OBDII's fault here since it started on the 96 models that had one tranny speed sensor.

But it is the fault of OBDII that it will throw a check engine light if it's not reading something right.

So this whole dilemma of which years work is all related to OBDII, and how much work you are willing to do to make the computer read it correctly.

98 up has one on t-case and one in the transmission. Stupid OBDII!

This was also in jest. OBDII is far superior to OBDI, I I like the fact that the diagnostics provided by OBDII are generally more specific leading to less testing and/or guess work on repairs, not to mention better real time data.

Only real draw back is that it makes some things a little more complicated at times, like trying to swap in a transmission from an incorrect year model, while not having any pesky codes show up in the computer.

Back