• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Oxygen (O2) Sensors - 2001 XJ

Stuntsy Normous

NAXJA Forum User
There's plenty of info online about how to replace O2 sensors, but this post is to address some specific questions that I didn't find answers to anywhere during my search (at least not accurate answers anyway):

1) Which O2 sensor(s) do I need?

2) How to get rid of a CEL after replacing?

Before we get started, here's a little background that probably sounds familiar. Recently had an intermittent CEL. Took my non-California compliant, 2001 XJ Sport into Autozone to have a courtesy OBD II Scan. Returned PO138, which is typical of downstream (after the catalytic converter) oxygen sensor failure.

First, wasn't able to find which sensor I needed. There are only two on the non-Cali XJ. Decided I'd just replace both at the same time, but all the parts vendors have at least eight to choose from...(maybe because the California compliant Jeeps have 6 sensors?) Autozone didn't know which ones either. Anyway, had to resort to getting under the Jeep looking at the OEM (had to rub away the rust with some WD40 and steel wool). Identified: Upstream (Before Cat) NTK 56044214AA, Downstream (After Cat) NTK 56041213AG.

Next I found a cross-reference to the BOSCH and NGK parts. Upstream: NGK 23151, and BOSCH 13100. Downstream: NGK 23099, and BOSCH 13138. Correspond roughly to "Front-Upstream", and "Rear-Downstream" in the descriptions on Autozone, and NAPA. (Question #1 answered)

Bought the BOSCH version parts from Autozone, and also got a loaner O2 Sensor socket (7/8") for 3/8" drive ratchet, which was helpful. With some WD40 and some torque, got both sensors installed.

Afterward, I drove around the rest of the afternoon, about 50 miles, a few trips. The CEL still didn't go out. Found numerous solutions online, like unhook the battery, take it back to Autozone/Mechanic to have it reset, but I wanted it reset ASAP. So I just reset the ODO to zero, turned off the Jeep, and then held in the trip reset button and turned key to on position. The dash gauges/lights went through the self-diagnostic routine, and when it was finished, the CEL was gone. I started it up to confirm, and it was still good. (Question #2 answered).

I know this is pretty elementary to most of you, but I was a little shocked I couldn't find these answers online earlier, so I hope it helps someone out there. :eeks1:

1) Which O2 sensor(s) do I need?

Is your XJ built to CA- or Federal-emissions spec? Lift the hood, check the label against the firewall on the driver's side.

2) How to get rid of a CEL after replacing?

Autozone gives free loan of OBD-II scantools in some areas. Plug it in to the diagnostic connector (in front of the driver's left knee) to read the stored codes and reset the CEL. If the store in your area doesn't loan them out, ask around in the chapter forum for your area. If you have an Android phone, Torque is a good app for doing this, though you'll need to buy a bluetooth-compatible OBD-II adapter that it supports.

Before we get started, here's a little background that probably sounds familiar. Recently had an intermittent CEL. Took my non-California compliant, 2001 XJ Sport into Autozone to have a courtesy OBD II Scan. Returned PO138, which is typical of downstream (after the catalytic converter) oxygen sensor failure.

Ignore the fact that you're in NC; you may still have a CA-spec emissions system. There's some reasonable speculation that most 2001 XJs were built to California emissions standards.

If you have one catalytic converter and two oxygen sensors, you have a Federal-emssions Jeep. If this is the case, please document it along with the emissions label.

If you have a pre-cat, two catalytic converters, and four oxygen sensors, you have a California-emissions Jeep.

First, wasn't able to find which sensor I needed. There are only two on the non-Cali XJ.

Yep, Bosch 13100 and 13138 upstream and downstream respectively, IIRC from last week's adventures in the same regard on my XJ.

Decided I'd just replace both at the same time, but all the parts vendors have at least eight to choose from...(maybe because the California compliant Jeeps have 6 sensors?)

CA-compliant has 4. Some are interchangeable with Federal; some aren't. This is probably why you're saying 6; been through this in the last week ;)

Autozone didn't know which ones either.

Their parts book is not entirely accurate. It (amongst others) resulted in having to call Bosch to get a definitive answer; see above.

Anyway, had to resort to getting under the Jeep looking at the OEM (had to rub away the rust with some WD40 and steel wool). Identified: Upstream (Before Cat) NTK 56044214AA, Downstream (After Cat) NTK 56041213AG.

Next I found a cross-reference to the BOSCH and NGK parts. Upstream: NGK 23151, and BOSCH 13100. Downstream: NGK 23099, and BOSCH 13138. Correspond roughly to "Front-Upstream", and "Rear-Downstream" in the descriptions on Autozone, and NAPA. (Question #1 answered)

Sounds like Federal-spec given that there are only two numbers in play. Go with the Bosch numbers.

(Question #2 answered).

Not really - it's possible to turn off the CEL, but still have codes stored. Go to Autozone, borrow the scantool, and use it to do a full reset. See what happens over the next few days.

I know this is pretty elementary to most of you, but I was a little shocked I couldn't find these answers online earlier, so I hope it helps someone out there. :eeks1:

Frankly, what Chrysler did to the XJ's emissions systems between 2000 & 2001 in Federal and California terms is poorly-documented. We could really use your help on this one per my requests above.

Last edited:
Back