• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 cherokee w/bad transfer case

new-xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 Cherokee (4L, 23 spline AX15, 231, 3" RC, 31's on 10 holes, D30/D35) with a bad transfer case. I've found a tcase out of a 2000 cherokee w/17k miles on it, will this work without any issues?

I know my stock tcase has all those vacuum lines coming off the back of it and the new one doesnt, will this pose a problem?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

You're t-case is a 21 spline unit and the other one is a 23 spline so you'll have to rework the t-cases internals. Also, the hoses are because you have a disconnect axle and the donor rig has a non-disconnect axle. Will be another issue to deal with.

You should be able to find a case that is a direct bolt-in from an '87-'90 fairly easily.

Also, what is wrong with your t-case? Might be just as cheap to rebuild it. They are easy to do.

You're t-case is a 21 spline unit and the other one is a 23 spline so you'll have to rework the t-cases internals. Also, the hoses are because you have a disconnect axle and the donor rig has a non-disconnect axle. Will be another issue to deal with.

You should be able to find a case that is a direct bolt-in from an '87-'90 fairly easily.

Also, what is wrong with your t-case? Might be just as cheap to rebuild it. They are easy to do.

The important variations to look for in the 231 transfer case are in the input gear. The 231 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.

All AX15s are 23 spline. Pre-95 NP231s are 23-spline SHORT input; Post 94 are 23-spline LONG input.

I know my stock tcase has all those vacuum lines coming off the back of it and the new one doesnt, will this pose a problem?
Swap the vacuum switch from your current case for the electrical one in the new case. The actual casting of the case is the same, should just drop in. Or delete the CAD system entirely and wire the electrical switch to your 4wd lights. Your choice.

The important variations to look for in the 231 transfer case are in the input gear. The 231 comes in 21 spline and 23 spline versions with long, medium (rare) and short variations.

All AX15s are 23 spline. Pre-95 NP231s are 23-spline SHORT input; Post 94 are 23-spline LONG input.

This is entirely correct, you can disassemble your case and take the input gear out, and swap it to the new case as long as the teeth mate properly. There were a couple of changes to the teeth internally. No idea on when/where. Worst case is you call Novak and spend $50 on a new input gear.

All the info you need.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np_nvg_input_gears.htm

Back