• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 & 30 4.56 gear install questions

DriftXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum just picked up an XJ with 33's a few months ago and decided to try a 4.56 gear install for the first time. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so lets start.

I pulled the carrier out and had to find a way to remove the old bearings with out damaging them. I wanted to use them as setup bearings so I came up with this contraption.
IMAG0117.jpg

Harbor freight Hydraulic puller with some kind of plate and stuff to make it work. Worked out great!

Couldn't get the ring gear on. I could have heated up the ring gear but I didn't feel like holding a hot ring gear so I tried to freeze the carrier instead.
IMAG0119.jpg

A few days later and it worked! It didn't go on all the way but a few taps with a dead blow and she was set!
IMAG0122.jpg

Now I put the carrier back in with the stock shims (went in easy maybe b/c it was still frozen).
IMAG0124.jpg

Houston we have a problem!!! :doh:
IMAG0123.jpg

I tried to do as much research as I could but I've never worked on a Domestic vehicle in my life! I've built Import engines, a little fabrication work here and there, Custom roll cages, Dyno tuned fuel injection systems, turbo chargers, Road raced, and Drag raced stuff and I thought that this did not look right. I'm pretty sure its a "Jeep Thing" hahaha! Cool, so more searching and found out that they have 2 different carriers for Dana 30&44 and probably others as well.

so I'm probably 99% sure I need a 3.92 & up open carrier for Dana 44 & 30. Can someone with more experience confirm? If yes, does anyone have a 3.92 & up carrier for sale? Thanks!

possibly the wrong carrier... that maybe a 3.55 carrier instead of a 3.73. did u buy a new 3.73 carrier or did u just swap the ring gear to your old carrier? if u only swaped ring gears out, theres your problem, u need a high numerical carrier. hit up rwkhauss offroad on here. hes very knowledgable and could set u in the right path.

Last edited:
btw, private message robertk (he is the owner of rwkhaus)

It was originally a 3.56~ so I guess I do need a 3.73 carrier. Haha! Yeah I purchased the 4.56 gears, Spartan, SYE, and Tera 2lo from Robertk! Everything arrived quickly, good experience with him =) I wanted to see first if anyone had a used carrier for sale before inquiring about a new carrier. Do you know if they are really hard to come by? Sorry I'm new to Jeeps in general so I don't know which parts are "rare" or easy to find. Thanks for the quick response!

if you have the cash, now is a good time to upgrade to a better carrier than a factory one. sell your stock carrier and lunchbox and get a full locker and have a much stronger combo.

how did i miss that? see what happens when you let your membership laps? you start getting stupid. waiting for paypal to hurry up and do the money transfer so i can be ... well less stupid. but hey, it was a good thought wasn't it?

:anon:Hahaha WebDog is right! I've gone too far into into the D30 and D44 to turn back around :bawl: I'm not a hard core rock crawler so I'm hopping my XJ w/ 4" lift, 33's,rear lunch box and spare axles will get me through the Dusy Ershim and other local spots around the So Cal area. Its not a daily driver but will be driven to and from the trails.

Do you guys think my setup will work for what I'm trying to do? I don't have enough experience wheeling to know any better. If someone can chime in that would be awesome! I take criticism well :moon: Thanks guys!

Last edited:
You definitely need a different carrier for the D30. I don't think you will need it for the D44, not sure on that one. Are you using a setup bearing cup for the pinion on the D30? If you need some guidance in setting the gears up PM me, I would be glad to talk you through it.

actually if the OP has the 3.55 carrier for the D44 and didnt get the "thick" gear set, he will need a new D44 carrier too.
hey DriftXJ, if you are doing these yourself and want to know how, jeeperJohn is the man. i would take him up on the offer if i were you.

Jeeperjohn I definitely would appreciate your guidance. :clap: Just going to wait a few days for a used carrier to pop up, if not I'll bite the bullet and order a new one.

2stix you are 100% correct.

Thanks you guys rock!

:anon:Hahaha WebDog is right! I've gone too far into into the D30 and D44 to turn back around :bawl: I'm not a hard core rock crawler so I'm hopping my XJ w/ 4" lift, 33's,rear lunch box and spare axles will get me through the Dusy Ershim and other local spots around the So Cal area. Its not a daily driver but will be driven to and from the trails.

Do you guys think my setup will work for what I'm trying to do? I don't have enough experience wheeling to know any better. If someone can chime in that would be awesome! I take criticism well :moon: Thanks guys!

you should be fine with that.

I run Aussie front and rear and currently my jeep is my daily and trail rig.

3.73 and up carriers don't pop up used very often, I was looking for one for over a year and finally bought one from rob last month ;)

Kudos to you for jumping in head first, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks around here :D

Thanks Webdog and GrimmJeeper for the info! Couldn't find any used ones over the weekend. Robert contacted me today and offered me a very competitive price on the 2 new carriers so they should be here shortly. I appreciate him touching base with me even after I have already made a purchase with him.

I'll have to un-install my lunch box Spartan locker from the old carrier tonight. Those things go in really easy but something tells me its not going to come out easy. Hahaha!

Back