• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock tire carrier

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Strengthening stock tire carrier? It's the angled bumper mount style.

Mine is fine once its closed, but when it's open it's like a wet noodle.

I want to be able to load it with a tire, fuel and a few other things like a Trasharoo full of firewood.

anyone done this before? Maybe by tying it into my trailer hitch?

Do you have all the brackets? IIRC there is one that goes from the lower bumper mount to the rear frame.

Do you have all the brackets? IIRC there is one that goes from the lower bumper mount to the rear frame.

yeah, that's a good question.

I do have a bracket that sandwiches the bumper to the outside main bracket. It bolts in two places to a sheetmetal bulkhead aft and to the right of the gas tank. that's it, though.

The angled style only has one connection point at the bumper

yeah, that's a good question.

I do have a bracket that sandwiches the bumper to the outside main bracket. It bolts in two places to a sheetmetal bulkhead aft and to the right of the gas tank. that's it, though.

The angled style only has one connection point at the bumper

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the early style of tire carrier

maybe use a larger diameter bolt as a pivot

Thats a good idea for sure, but most if not all of the movement is coming from the stock bumper being made from the same material as a jiffy pop container. :D

I was thinking a "detours-like" subframe attached to the hitch would do nicely.

Maybe something that slips into and is plugwelded onto the open end of the main square hitch tube?

Back