• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90' No start! Spark and wet plugs!

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
1990' 166k miles cap was lose, damage to rotor and cap, replaced it and still no start. It has spark, all of the plugs are wet, and will not try to fire till you hold full throttle. Even then its not a fire its a stall. It stalls the starter every time it tries to fire.

What gives? Strong spark and wet plugs?!!!
Possible for timing chain to skip?! Distributor?!

Fuel pressure reg?!!

Can hear fuel pump, but now there seems to be no pressure on the rail. How the hell is there wet plugs with no pressure on the rail and the pump running?!! Thought it was out of gas... nope...

Truck ran fine, went to store, would not start.

Any help appreciated, I am in MN and truck is in CO, trying to help a friend!

Damn the RENIX!

XJR

What destroyed the cap and rotor? Distributor shaft wobble? Check for it.

"Stalls the starter?" Describe it. You likely have a failing battery, bad cables, or a failing starter-solenoid.

Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor and then cranking the engine puts the ECU in "clear flood" mode where it cuts off the firing impulse to the injectors. Wet plugs would seem to indicate you are flooded. Pull all of the plugs, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, and crank the engine to clear the cylinders/intake. Clean the plugs, reinstall them, try and start it.

However, as the Renix has to "spin up" to 300+ RPMs BEFORE the crank sensor can generate a strong enough signal for the ECU to fire the plugs you need to make sure the battery/cable/starter-solenoid issue is resolved FIRST.

What destroyed the cap and rotor? Distributor shaft wobble? Check for it.

"Stalls the starter?" Describe it. You likely have a failing battery, bad cables, or a failing starter-solenoid.

Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor and then cranking the engine puts the ECU in "clear flood" mode where it cuts off the firing impulse to the injectors. Wet plugs would seem to indicate you are flooded. Pull all of the plugs, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor, and crank the engine to clear the cylinders/intake. Clean the plugs, reinstall them, try and start it.

However, as the Renix has to "spin up" to 300+ RPMs BEFORE the crank sensor can generate a strong enough signal for the ECU to fire the plugs you need to make sure the battery/cable/starter-solenoid issue is resolved FIRST.

The loose cap destroyed it.

By stalling I mean it cranks fine, I can hear it on the phone... then when he apply's throttle, it will stop the engine from spinning for just a sec as if the timing is too retarded and causes kickback. Its on a charger full charge its not that its not cranking it fast enough.... he can hear fuel pump, injectors and it has bright spark.

gotta go Back in 30 mins.
XJR

By stalling I mean it cranks fine, I can hear it on the phone... then when he apply's throttle, it will stop the engine from spinning for just a sec as if the timing is too retarded and causes kickback. Its on a charger full charge its not that its not cranking it fast enough.... he can hear fuel pump, injectors and it has bright spark.

XJR

what caused the loose cap?

it sounds to me like the timing is FUBAR.

XJR

Ok, so you aren't there with the vehicle. This is a big flaw in the slaw.

Have the other pair of hands pull the battery, fully charge it, and have it load tested. Once that is done have the other pair of hands perform a voltage drop test on the main cables: http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Once that is done THEN pull all of the spark plugs, push the accelerator to the floor, and THEN crank the engine over to blow any excess fuel from the cylinders.

Put the plugs back in, and while holding the accelerator to the floor crank the engine and see if she will fire.

there is no flaw, we are not the idiots you think we are

no access to a fuel pressure gauge up on the mountain...

How about the fuel pressure reg.... If it fails internally, couldn't it suck the fuel through the diaphragm into the vacuum line flooding the motor?!

XJR

there is no flaw, we are not the idiots you think we are

no access to a fuel pressure gauge up on the mountain...

How about the fuel pressure reg.... If it fails internally, couldn't it suck the fuel through the diaphragm into the vacuum line flooding the motor?!

XJR

possible, not likely. If you suspect that, pull the vacuum hose off. The motor will run well enough for you to get it off the mountain without it, just don't go doing any WOT drag race runs.

He pulled the plastic vac line off and it smelled like fuel so he is pulling plugs, dryin it out again and see if there is any life.

Been a while since I messed with renix, but I believe I had the same thing happen back in 2000 on my 87'

XJR

A cheap set of Champion plugs might be in order. It seems that once the plugs get wet, it is almost impossible to get them to start again.

Where in Colorado is the truck?

He bought a new cap and rotor, new plugs, new air filter because there was a rat nest in the airbox.

Truck is in Breck. Have not heard back...

XJR

Well owner had enough, took it to a shop. lol

Guess there were no fuel regs around, but we are pretty sure thats what the deal was... I'll let yall know.

Peace.
XJR

Back