• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble switching out of 4WD

Electrichorseman

NAXJA Forum User
Excuse me if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find a previous discussion using the search...

I'm having trouble switching in and out of Full Time 4WD on my 88 XJ. I've always had the problem with the "Full Time" indicator light flashing on and off when I'm in 2WD but this is a mechanical problem. This issue started last year and it's now worse. I now have to flip the handle back and forth a bunch of times to get it in and out of Full Time. It keeps getting hung-up in Part Time.

Is this an adjustment issue? Any suggestions?

Ken C.

Are you moving when you are shifting?

I've got the 242 and have the same issue. Adjusting the linkage can help some but I have always found that it is easiest to slam it from fulltime to 2wd when moving forward at a slow speed, maybe 3 mph. It can take up to 30-50 feet for the transfer case to finally get into 2wd with a clunk.

Couple of things
- to get to 4-full time, needs to go through 4-part time. On hard, dry surfaces, it helps to gently alternate between gas and coast....it relieves pressure on the shift gears.
- Always shift when moving...won't work well standing still as the gears won't all be lined up they way they need to be.
- Make sure linkage is properly adjusted. install/removal of t-case drop will make adjustment necessary.

Back