• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Matching door and ignition locks

WrenchedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I attempted a search on google, but didnt find anything. Then searched on the forum for the topic, still nothing. Does anyone know where I can find a matching door and ignition lock set? Right now, I dont have any door keys(never came with the jeep), and not having anything of value in it, I didn't worry about it. However, coming in soon is some long needed car audio to drown out the tires, engine, creaks, and rattles. While a lock only keeps the honest person out, I would like a little protection. I already have a different key for the glove box that came from another parts jeep, so currently I have 2 keys, I dont want a 3rd if I can help it.

The year of your Jeep makes a difference for the answer ( with just about any question or probelm ).

Take your door lock cylinders and ignition key to a locksmith and have the cylinders re-keyed to match your ignition key.

FYI on at least a 96 (double sided key) the glovebox lock is the same as the door locks, it just uses the last 3 pins/wafers toward the tip of the key. Easy to rekey.

Early XJs use two keys, and I'm not sure the locks can be reset to use the same key for the ignition and doors/glove box.

I do believe there are a couple of write ups on NAXJA where others have updated the late model locks to work on the early XJs, thereby allowing the use of the double-sided key for both the ignition and doors/glove box.

The old style Jeep keys are basically classic GM keyset. The ignition key is separate from the door key as mentioned before. Furthermore, the keys are not interchangeable, so you couldn't get the locks keyed the same without modifying one of the cylinders to ignore the keyway groove.

The good news is getting new lock cylinders for the doors are cheap and fairly easy to replace because they were basically the same part on a billion GM and Jeep vehicles. Once you have your new set of keys, you should be able to rekey the glovebox. The hatch however is a mystery to me. Never been inside the locking mechanism.

ya, my ignition keys looks like a GM key, through me off a little bit. My glove box door and key are from a 94(double-sided). So I technically can get two new cylinders(the current ones arent looking to hot internally, springs extruding) for a 94 and then re-key the glove box. I can re-key a house lock no problem, used to do it everyday. do auto keys take the same tumblers?

ya, my ignition keys looks like a GM key, through me off a little bit. My glove box door and key are from a 94(double-sided). So I technically can get two new cylinders(the current ones arent looking to hot internally, springs extruding) for a 94 and then re-key the glove box. I can re-key a house lock no problem, used to do it everyday. do auto keys take the same tumblers?
house locks have pins and stuff, most auto locks have stupid wafer crap in em, the XJ ones included.

Easy way to get this done is to hit the boneyard, find a jeep with all the doors present and a key in the ignition (they sometimes drop em in the center console) and rip all the cylinders out of it, including the rear hatch one. Clean them all up, degrease and regrease with a proper lubricant, and install. 91-94 have cylinders that I think should swap into the steering column as well, not sure, I just know that the 91-94 steering column looks mostly like the old ones.

To the JY I go when the taxes come back. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer by then. I guess I was looking for the easiest route, but in reality, finding a pre-existing matching set IS the easiest. Sometimes my spending hand wants to move quicker than my head it seems. Im sure that one of the 30+ XJ's at the JY will have a matching set.

Last edited:
Back