• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you rotate axle towards front of vehicle

Distended

NAXJA Forum User
Was doing RMS and replacing oil pump on a non modified Cherokee. In order to drop oil pan out I disco'ed just about all of front suspension except for tie rods and upper control arms.

Now I am ready to stitch everything back up but I cannot get the lower CAs to sync up with axle brackets. Since I raised the frame so high the axle swung under the frame and I am trying to figure out what combination of lifting frame and/or axle it takes to get the two to mate again...any ideas?:sad1:

Use a ratchet strap to pull it.

I've used a chain winch, and used a come-along hand winch also to suck the axle back. Used the x-member as the anchor point. Also to rotate the housing I've used a large pipe wrench and a jack to rotate the axle to align bolt holes

Big pipe wrench. To make things easier on yourself, you can use 3/8" ratchet extension bars as alignment pins. I get one lined up, shove an extension bar through it, line the other up, get the bolt in (put the bolt in from the center of the vehicle with the nut on the outboard side) and then swap the extension bar for the bolt on the other side by pulling it out halfway and using it to adjust the LCA position while inserting the bolt.

Pipe wrench as mentioned, but it doesn't really have to be huge...

All you need is an 18" or so pipe wrench and a floor jack. Your XJ can even be on the ground while doing this. Plus, you can do this by yourself, to boot!

Clamp the pipe wrench as close to the CA mount / CA you will want to adjust. Align the pipe wrench in the direction you want to rotate the axle. Once you have the pipewrench biting on the axle, put the handle end of the pipe wrench on the pad of the floor jack, and begin pumping slowly. Keep an eye on the rotation of the axle. It's amazing how much finesse you'll have in lining up the holes using this method.

Thanks guys, I got lower CAs & all else buttoned up.

I ended up placing jack stand under axle, jack under CA, to keep it up under the bracket. Then removed one wheel, grabbed the C clip, one hand on top & one on bottom, then rotated C until holes matched. Held bottom of C with one hand and then jammed bolt in. Thank God I got that bolt in. Once I had one the other was bacon!

Long day...but so far so good, no leaks....to speak of...and all else seams normal. Only time will tell if new RMS & oil pump surgery was successful.:repair:

Back