• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last Hurrah Tires

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
This is probably going to be the last set of tires I buy for this XJ before sending it to XJ heaven or hell. If the jeep was newer I'd have no problem selecting new rubber. What I'm looking for now is a cost effective means of buying a decent set of tires that will get the XJ through its retirement years without breaking the bank. In other words I'd like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing safety. As I had one local tire shop owner tell me very frankly: "There is no such thing anymore as cheap tires." Having driven on rubber that has consistently hydroplaned, I'm willing to pay more for safety. I am just thinking that maybe there are some gems out there that are not your "major brands" that deliver without breaking the bank.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Last edited:
I have been buying tires for years (as have all of us) and I've only ever bought 2 sets new - 1 set Revos for my ZJ & Pro Comp ATs for the XJ. That was before I knew better. Everything else has been used and 99% from Craig's List. Choose carefully. Only had 1 bad set all this time (20s on the DD) and they held up anyway. Never select them at night or when they're wet. Hides a multitude of sins!

X2 on treadwright or CL.

I did just spend $320 (after taxes, etc, unmounted) on a set of 4 245/75r16 firestone winterforce UVs though. Brand new 31" snows for $320 is a pretty decent deal IMO.

I've settled on yokohama's for our DD cars (I need two new sets of tires for our sedans). They were te only brand that I found that consistenly made every size and style in the US, everything else (yes, bridgestone and goodyear included) were a mix of Malaysia/Mexico/Korean production.

Check on Tire rack, then start looking at the spec sheets and the origin codes. You'll be surprised that many of the "top shelf" tire brands are made in Malaysia somewhere.

Well,... as much as I hate to spend the money, I think I'm going back to Toyo Open Country AT's. I've been told by my tire guy that they are Toyo's competitive product to the Geolander. I've had good success with them on my Grand and they seem to fair better overall in reviews on Tirerack. Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately they are back ordered right now but I'm not in a rush.

Perfectly fine in my experience. I have had mine up to triple digit speeds with no issues, balanced very nicely, they make a hell of a racket on the road now but that is more due to my wheeling style than the tires themselves, they were very quiet till two weeks ago when I thrashed them pretty damn hard.

The Falken AT tires seem to have really good reviews. I may pick some up, since they dont make REVO's in my size anymore! Have a 30-day money back guarantee as well..

Back