• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C expansion valve help needed

Sflxj

NAXJA Forum User
I went to have my Air Conditioner fixed today on my 96 XJ (I'm in Florida) and had the compressor and drier replaced. When the shop got to the expansion valve they were unable to undo the fitting to the evaporator. They tried putting some heat on the fitting but it didn't work. I'm told the only alternative is to remove the valve with the evaporator by removing the dashboard $$$. I can't afford to invest anymore in the A/C system. Anyone have tips or tricks for getting the expansion valve separated from the evaporator??

:bawl:

I used several different pen lubes, nut buster snake oils in an aerosol can, and waited one day. Came loose nice and easy after that. It is a tight spot, and takes some thin, long handled open wrenches to get to to the nuts and break them loose, but it can be done.

I am assuming the 96 is similar to the 85, 87 and 89 jeeps?

Thanks Mike. I was going to try the heating and cooling method but I will try the penetrant method first. Is there one that works better than others?

Thanks Mike. I was going to try the heating and cooling method but I will try the penetrant method first. Is there one that works better than others?

I keep a collection of 5 major brands, and use them all at the same time on real problem fasteners. I hate busted bolts, and torches. PB blaster is one of the best.

Back