• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The new family wheeeler

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I was trying for an XJ but the deals just weren't out there and the planets apparently didn't want to line up for me. So after some further thought I figured if I was going to ditch the fuel sipper and go back to an SUV I might as well get one that can tow my YJ if needed. In all honesty though, I can't believe I never considered one of these before. This thing is nice to drive, comfy down the road, and has plenty of grunt to get me in trouble. Its also a lot more roomy inside than you would think. The aftermarket is a bit lacking but thats fine with me, it just makes it harder to spend my money.

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Specs:
2001 Dodge Durango 4x4 SLT
5.9L "Magnum" V8
46RE 4spd Auto
265/75 r16's (31.6")
NP233 (basically an NP231HD but with the electronic shift and a reluctor ring from what I can tell)
ChryCo 9.25 rear w/ limited slip
ChryCo 8.0 front, appparently this replaced the D35 IFS axle in 2000
Tow package with 7,300lb tow rating (this was the important thing for me)
Leather, 8 speaker Infinity sound, 3 zone climate control, power everything, auto dimming rear view and driver side mirrors, basically fully loaded from what I can tell by reading the original window sticker I found in the owner's manual.

It won't be the primary tow vehicle for my YJ, but I did want to be able to tow it myself from time to time as needed. I'm getting a gooseneck so my neighbor can haul both his jeep and mine with his 6.4L Powerstroke on major trips. This will be more used to take my YJ to nearby trails for the testing/shakedown or for quick trips in it just for fun. I'll be using it to take the family wheeling and hopefully even camping now that my kid is nearing 3yrs old.

Plans are to get it onto 33's and regear it to either 4.10's or 4.56's. I haven't decided yet. I know I want to regear with the bigger tire just to keep the tow rating intact, but I'm thinking if I'm going to do it I might as well go up to 4.56's and get some extra power. I'll also be adding some air assist bags, a brake controller, and better transmission cooler to the mix. And yes, a new windshield too. The Golf's was broken also so i didn't push the matter.

So just out of curiosity I decided to go onto KBB and compare values on the 96 Golf and the 2001 Durango, just to see how I did trade wise.

Loaded 2001 Dodge Durango w/ 200,000 miles: Good condition value of $5,660

1996 Golf GL w/ 115,000 miles: Good condition value of $1,880, now add in (to the right people of course) the $1000 worth of Schmidt summer wheels and the $1000 worth of coilovers along with the uber rare Golf Sport seats (1995 only) and some other little doodads I'd added and I'm looking closer to $4,000. I was realistically hoping to sell it for $3,500 (expecting to get $3,000) so it looks like that even if I had managed to get my top dollar asking price I still made over 2000$ on the deal. Not a bad deal as I see it.

I should admit that the front heater blower motor didn't work when I got it, but a 15$ blower motor resistor that is easily accessed from the passenger side footwell and that problem was fixed.

Last edited:
My wife had a Durango for a few years. It was a good rig and didn't give us much problems.
Looks like a good trade deal for you!

Nice score. It looks like it suffers from the same thing as most Mopar products of that era: cheap, wearing steering wheel. Regardless, I'm sure that it will serve you very well.

Yeah, doesn't bother me though as its not cracking. I'm a diesel mechanic so it'll probably turn black soon enough as it is.

I have a love/hate relationship with Durangos. Good, solid trucks..... but they can be a huge bitch to work on under the hood. A neighbor has an '01 and needed to replace his radiator. Half the front clip has to be removed and a bunch of other stuff is connected to the radiator via the stoopid over-engineered fan shroud......

But definitely a nice snag Rich! Total family truckster with 'nads. :thumbup:

Nice Dutch. And it's a Mopar, even better.

I've been doing a bit of perusing on Dakota-Durango forum and apparently people are towing some serious shit with these things, makes me feel even better about it.

First things on the list will be a tranny cooler, air bags, and brake controller for sure, then the gears. Pricing isn't too bad on the gears either. After that then the requisite power mods; intake, exhaust, headers, and a tuner.

That should hold me over until I can get the money for a diesel truck.

Back