• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having trouble with the kids XJ

Dads XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My son bought a 2000 XJ AW4,4.0L,4x4 SE w/cruise,air, power side mirrors and tilt. I believe it has an option package of some sort as the SE doesn't come standard with the above. . It was a theft recovery and someone destroyed the wiring harness under the dash. We replaced the harness with one from a 99 XJ that had the Sentry Key option from the factory. Everything seems to work as far as lights, power mirrors, radio.
Engine cranks, have spark to plugs, no fuel.
We used the 99 instument cluster, The 2000 was the plain jane POS
Should we be looking for a wiring harness from a 2000? I'm assuming that the Sentry Key in the wiring harness should not affect anything if we are not using it in this XJ.
Issues are:
Fuel pump not running, How do you check without dropping the tank? We did drop the tank to drain the old gas, is there a flip over switch on these pumps? could we have tripped it by tipping the tank?
Engine light stays on and does not go out when key is turned to second posision, Does this indicate codes?
Front wippers not working, Checked fusues and relays allready, swithed with working ones.
Cig lighter not working but power outlet does,checked fuses, swithed relays with known working ones.
Horn not working, again checked fusue, checked with a working relay
Blower motor only runs on high setting, will not run on first three settings.

Last edited:
Almost forgot we used the 99 steering column and all the lock cylinders. Not sure if it matters just trying to give as much info as possible.

blower motor resistor pack is probably burnt out.
and the sentry key may be effecting things. i think when its activated there is no fuel to the system. check to see if the fuel injectors are firing. if they are its the pump, fuses, or wiring.

Back