• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine compatibilty

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an MJ a few months ago but the engine is getting there, lots of white gunk on the dip stick, loss of power, etc.... So I figured I could get another engine to put in, its an 88 so do I need to put a renix engine in or could I snag a HO and bolt it in using the renx garbage. I really dont want to big of a project, bolt in is best, I do have another XJ but that is my project, I dont want two.

RENIX engines 87-90 will bolt in.

HO engines will bolt in except the manifolds, iirc. You can either swap a good RENIX head on, or bolt the HO intake/exhaust manifolds up (eliminates the EGR... so make sure you have a way planned to reinstall it) and then you have to adapt your RENIX throttle body to work with the HO intake manifold. Try to aim for a 95 or earlier engine because your fuel injector rail needs to be swapped out if you go for the HO intake, and a 95 or earlier comes with the fuel pressure regulator setup you'll need.

Hopefully one of the RENIX geniuses on here can verify/correct this, but I think it's correct.

I'm not a Renix genius, but I have done the swap. Start with a 98 or older HO motor. It's real easy. Use your intake and exhaust manifolds with the Renix gasket. Swap over your distributor, valve cover, and flywheel/flexplate.

Any questions, post them up.

I'm not a Renix genius, but I have done the swap. Start with a 98 or older HO motor. It's real easy. Use your intake and exhaust manifolds with the Renix gasket. Swap over your distributor, valve cover, and flywheel/flexplate.

Any questions, post them up.

Agree.

As Cruiser54 stated always use the gasket that matches the INTAKE MANIFOLD year in any 4.0 swap.

Back