• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fishing and Offroadinng

huitzi

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, ive been wanting to go fishing for a while but i want a place/lake/river that requires a lil offroading to get to, nothing carzy or long ....say 15-45mins trail... anywhere around the IE but anywhere in socal will do... any suggestions? thanks for reading :thumbup:

They used to stock the Santa Ana River with trout and there are some dirt roads that lead to some prime fishing spots, but with the state in bad financial condition I don't know if they do that anymore.

What kind of fishing do you prefer?

Bear creek/Santa Ana River off 1N64 in the SBNF

West fork San Gabriel River off Rincon route in Angeles NF

There may be access issues to both of these areas due to heavy Christmas rains.

Finally a thread that got me excited. Fishing and Offroading, the combo of sweet bliss. There are a couple of streams in the San Berdo mtns. that require some offroading to get to them. One of my favorites would be bear creek. This is the creek that comes off of Big Bear lake and meets up with the Santa Ana river just above Highland. There are a few trails that take you to the upper part of that creek and the fishing can be epic. The down side is that all the fish are native and you can only use natural stuff and barbless hooks. flyfishing is definately your best option in there. 2 fish is the limit. The natives in that stream can acutally get quite large. The lower part where the two creeeks meet can also be really good fishing and you can have natives from Bear Creek and stocked rainbows from the Santa Ana river all together in one area. Makes for some challenging but fun fishing. Deep creek is another stream that has some nice spots that require a little offroading to get to. The Santa Ana river has some nice spots that use fire roads to get to but I woudn't call that offroading. If fishing is your top priority and not offroading then I would go with the Santa Ana river. It is regularly stocked during the summer and fall and your odds of success are really high. I fish 2-3 days a week in the summer and if you want someone to show you some local spots just shoot me a PM. I would be happy to take you out. There is also the cove at Silverwood that can only be accessed with a mtn bike. Not really offroading, but epic fishing.

What kind of fishing do you prefer?

honestly i dont know sh!t about fishing,any fish will be great...lol ive gone probably 4 or 5 times to different places and have never caught a damn fish.... but it still fun

Finally a thread that got me excited. Fishing and Offroading, the combo of sweet bliss. There are a couple of streams in the San Berdo mtns. that require some offroading to get to them. One of my favorites would be bear creek. This is the creek that comes off of Big Bear lake and meets up with the Santa Ana river just above Highland. There are a few trails that take you to the upper part of that creek and the fishing can be epic. The down side is that all the fish are native and you can only use natural stuff and barbless hooks. flyfishing is definately your best option in there. 2 fish is the limit. The natives in that stream can acutally get quite large. The lower part where the two creeeks meet can also be really good fishing and you can have natives from Bear Creek and stocked rainbows from the Santa Ana river all together in one area. Makes for some challenging but fun fishing. Deep creek is another stream that has some nice spots that require a little offroading to get to. The Santa Ana river has some nice spots that use fire roads to get to but I woudn't call that offroading. If fishing is your top priority and not offroading then I would go with the Santa Ana river. It is regularly stocked during the summer and fall and your odds of success are really high. I fish 2-3 days a week in the summer and if you want someone to show you some local spots just shoot me a PM. I would be happy to take you out. There is also the cove at Silverwood that can only be accessed with a mtn bike. Not really offroading, but epic fishing.

u got pm :thumbup:

fly fishing creeks can be tricky and difficult. especially for someone new to fishing. just flatten the barb on a single hook, and get some live crickets. no weight and find a small over hang or pool and float the cricket into it. you'll probably get hit real quick. i sure miss walking the creeks. have fun you guys.

There are some fire trails that you can take from San Bernardino over the mountain to Silverwood lake. I usually take the highway to get there so I can arrive early and then take the fire trails home.

Check out this webiste for more info on local mountains
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6BdkOyoCAPkATlA!/?ss=110512&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003853&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=main&pname=San%2520Bernardino%2520National%2520Forest-%2520Home/target/index.shtml

Years ago we use to go to Littlerock creek/Lake and catch quite a few planted rainbows fall to spring, nothing big but they were fun on light tackle. I haven't seen much trout plant activity posted for littlerock for a while.
As for the trails the fireroad that runs from the town of littlerock up to Angeles Forest Highway is easy most of the time, when we were going up there there was an OHV park but I haven't seen much news about the park in several years either.

Back