• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cel. no guages runs fine

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj. 4.0 auto

Getting a code - p1694. No guages. Tach and guages seem to work fine for the first five seconds after starting. After that I lose all guages. Have a check engine light and airbag lightEverything else seems to be fine. I searched and it seems like everything with that code has to do with a no start

Any ideas where to start?

Here is a P1694 thread that you MUST read.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167

Pay special attention to reply #2 where it gets into specific troubleshooting techniques for this trouble code.

In this thread, the problem was the crank sensor, but his was a no-start. As yours runs fine, I would follow the lead from the FSM outlined in reply #2 in this thread.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Last edited:
Since it still is runs fine,I'd say your having "No-Bus" issues.Theres a TSB about it.
Scroll to the bottom of this page and look thru the "similar threads"

Having a similar problem ... intermittant guages ... without a problem light ..

Chrysler issued a TSB, number 08-15-99 on May 21, 1999

On my XJ using the brake lights or turning head lights on and off will bring back the guages ... this indicates that wiring connections may be poor ...

One solution found was to replace one of the connectors on the panel

05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness

could not find this connector online ... appears to be a dealer only item ..

One person claimed the problem is not just oxidation but with the pins of the connector are too small and do not make good enough contact ... over a period of time may cause excess oxidation ...

Note: Some types of connectors you can purchase different size replacement pins ... usually requires some sort of insertion and extraction tool to perform repair correctly ..

Just a follow up on what I did to mine... Nothing.

I went out the next morning, started it and everything was fine. Hasnt done it again since.

??

Just a follow up on what I did to mine... Nothing.

I went out the next morning, started it and everything was fine. Hasnt done it again since.

??

It will happen again,strike the dash when it does,works alot of the time!

Corrosion of the contacts is always a problem with the XJ (and a lot of other "modern" vehicles). However, the harness to the instrument panel is also a little short on most of those 97+ XJs I have worked on. The dealer connector "kit" has additional wire and that takes a lot of the stress of the connector.

Back