• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj whistle when accelerating

jeeper92

NAXJA Forum User
hey i bought a 98 xj a few months ago. i have a lift and all the goods on it. recently, however, there has been a whistle sound during acceleration. if anyone can help give any ideas of fixing it i would love your input. thanks

Take a look at all the vacuum hoses on the engine. Sometimes they mysteriously pop off or wear out. They usually don't have clamps on them so you can accidentally pop them off while working underhood, or even by hitting bumps on the road. Kinda like when I accidentally popped the wire off of my oil pressure sending while whacking my starter with the backside of a shovel. Basic mechanic work, you know?:farmer:

My 90 does this at around 2500 rpm and up and gets proportionally worse. There are no vacuum leaks. I have contributed it to the cone air filter/intake tube that I put in there.

Had this issue on my 90 XJ...thought it was vacuum (CCV) but, it was not. Turned out to be the idle pulley bearing going bad. Lossened the serp belt, and replaced the idle pulley. Old pulley bearing had the slightest feel of racheting in it. Napa sells the pulley and bearing as complete unit...did not attempt to find bearing and remove replace into original pulley.

My 90 does this at around 2500 rpm and up and gets proportionally worse. There are no vacuum leaks. I have contributed it to the cone air filter/intake tube that I put in there.

have you pulled out the vacuum venturi bit in the intake? it whistles.

have you pulled out the vacuum venturi bit in the intake? it whistles.

I don't have the stock box in there any more, I have a cone K&N and tube
P1020306.jpg

Whistling sound!!!!, thats bad man. I would junk the motor and and vehicle and get a new one.

On my old 95 I had the K&N setup as well and it would whistle at certain RPMS, I found it neat. Its just turbulence within the intake, no big deal really.

Definitely the cone filter. I noticed that after I upgraded mine about 10 years ago. 60k and mine is still running so I wouldn't worry about it.

Slap a pre-filter on your cone filter and it will alter the sound. Besides, you need a pre-filter.

Back