• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake drum size 96 XJ

Sflxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 96 4x4 XJ and want to replace the brake drums. For this year are they 9" or 10" ? Thanks

not sure if you are trying to omptimize braking or what not but i was going to replace my drums because i thought they were worn. i replaced the self adjusters and noticed a night and day difference. change everything while your in there

I plan on doing the drums, shoes and hardware. I was a little confused because it seemed the 9" and 10" brakes depended on what axle the Jeep has.

Best advice I can give you is look at the outside of the drum and it will show the diameter in millimeters on it.... Mine says like 228 or 230 which makes them the 9" ones. I also think I remember seeing somewhere that the 9" drums have a smooth surface on the outside, and the 10" ones are kinda vented.

Back