• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd?

xjhazy21

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1996 inline 4 5 speed 2wd that i want to convert to 4wd. i just have a few questions, i know im going to need a new front axle, transfercase, and front driveshaft, but is there anything else that would have to be changed out too? will the front axle from a 4wd xj fit under my 2wd? will it have the same gears as the back axle? will i need any other parts or speacial modafications to make it 4wd? i also plan on after converting my jeep to 4wd to lift my jeep and get bigger tires, is there anything i can do now do help me out while lifting my jeep and beefing up the drivetrain. how much is needed to clear 35's? any helphul information, tips, tricks, and cheats, would be greatly appreciated.

You'll need to replace the transmission too since the xfer case won't bolt up. Rear drive shaft, xfer case linkage and lever, interior trim pieces, etc. A 4wd axle should bolt up, but obviously you'll have to make sure you get one to match the gears in the back. There is a ton of small parts needed to make the conversion and you almost need a donor vehicle at least nearby.

Honestly it's not overly complicated if you have some mechanical skills and tools, but it is a lot of work. Unless you're overly attached to the Jeep it's far quicker and usually cheaper to watch Craigslist for a good deal on a 4wd and sell what you've got.

i have a 1996 inline 4 5 speed 2wd that i want to convert to 4wd. i just have a few questions, . . . . . i also plan on after converting my jeep to 4wd to lift my jeep and get bigger tires, i. . . . . how much is needed to clear 35's? any helphul information, tips, tricks, and cheats, would be greatly appreciated.
Exact same this as I have, so here's my OPINION;
It might not be the best base to do all you want. What I did was add a PowerTrax locker to the stock Chry. 8.25, factory skids, tow hooks and hitch. Tires are A/T's in 235/75 x 15 (almost 30") that work well with the stock 4.11 gears. It gets me where we want to go (and back home) without problems.

IF "I" wanted to get serious and go high enough to clear even 33's I'd want to start with a 6 cyl. 4x4 with Auto. Just so much easier and, in the long run, probably cheeper.

Remember, it's my OPINION only. I know plenty of people have done what you are contemplating . . . .

Mike

Did the 2 -> 4wd swap in my MJ many moons ago and stayed 4.10's on 235's up to 31's. then to 33's. It was a hassle, so I swapped to 4.56's and had too much gear for the tires.....bumped up to 35's and it's quite driveable now. FWIW, I run a manual trans (AX5 formerly, now AX15).

lawsoncl - I read that as he meant 4 litre.

Why would a 231 not bolt up to the AX15?

If he meant it's a 4 cyl, then I understand what you are saying and also agree that it seems like a strech to run 35's with that motor.

Last edited:
If he's starting with a 2wd AX15, then it has a tailcone instead of the transfercase adpater on the back end. You need the 4wd version of the tranny.

Back