• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hows Big Bear?

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
I am heading up to Big Bear this weekend with my family. Never been so I was curious how it is looking right now.

We will be just south of Big Bear Airport. Thanks for any info!

I'm planning on cruising up through pioneer town on Wednesday I'll let you know. Anyone is welcome to tag along..

Anyone know where starr rd is up there?

Is there snow near the airport?

We are probably going to be driving a car so I wanna try and get a picture of what I will be dealing with, lol.

Anyone know where starr rd is up there?

Is there snow near the airport?

We are probably going to be driving a car so I wanna try and get a picture of what I will be dealing with, lol.

I went up in my Kia Spectra on Thursday to pick up some tires. With this recent heat most of the snow had melted. Nothing on the roads. You should be fine in any car you take. By now, I'd be surprised if there is any snow except for shady spots. The snow on my property was almost 18" deep now I just have a couple patches of snow. Will probably be gone by late tomorrow.

So will there be ANY snow besides the resorts?

There may be some in areas that are in the shade all day, but it's supposed to be above freezing all week which means most snow in the sun will be gone. I am assuming you were wanting some fun in the snow while up there. You will probably need to find some North facing slopes.

There's still a bit of snow on the backside of the mountain. Ten days ago, John Bull was impassable.

bb0111011.jpg

There's still a bit of snow on the backside of the mountain. Ten days ago, John Bull was impassable.

bb0111011.jpg

3 days ago my lawn was covered in snow in crestline.. as of yesterday all melted :( been in the high 60's/low 70's.. although big bear is still a bit up there, another 2,000 feet or so.. they should still have snow ... but probably not as much

There may be some in areas that are in the shade all day, but it's supposed to be above freezing all week which means most snow in the sun will be gone. I am assuming you were wanting some fun in the snow while up there. You will probably need to find some North facing slopes.

sorry didn't see your post... next storm I heard is first week of feb ... but it was also suppose to be this weekend then next weekend.. :wierd:

Is 330 open ?? Is there another way to get up besides Hwy. 38 ??

You might want to check the road condition...

Curt

Is 330 open ?? Is there another way to get up besides Hwy. 38 ??

You might want to check the road condition...

Curt

330's closed for at least a year... you have the 38.. or come up the 18 (waterman off the 210) and take the rim.. that'll take about an hour if you don't hit traffic... 38's probably the easiest way

330's closed for at least a year... you have the 38.. or come up the 18 (waterman off the 210) and take the rim.. that'll take about an hour if you don't hit traffic... 38's probably the easiest way

With all the traffic I saw down in Mentone on Sunday, I'd take the 18 through Running Springs. I took that route on the 8th and the only problem was the trash truck I got behind.

We drove through Mentone around noon last Saturday on our way up to Big Bear. It definitely had more traffic than usual due probably to the 330 closure. I've been taking the 38 for several years now and I like it alot more than the 330.

38 is still the best option. Just don't come up through Mentone. Come through Yucaipa and you wont hit any traffic. (take the 10 to Oak Glen/Live Oak Exit, Exit Oak Glen and go left, Go left at Bryant, Bryant will end at 38, go right)

Back