• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Slammed hood and broke the radiator

gameface87

NAXJA Forum User
:doh: So I FINALLY drove my XJ for the first time today after getting it aligned. I drove it around and to my surprise, I didnt have terrible vibes. So that was good. I got home and saw that I needed to replace a fuse. After I finished I dropped the hood from about halfway up and PSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!! some how I punctured the radiator. This happened right before I went to work so I havent had time to investigate. Has this happened to anyone else?
Here is what I have:
1996 XJ 4.0HO with 103,000 miles
auto
4.5" with 33" bfg km2s

That's odd. Where is the hole?

Hell, I drop my hood from about that height all the time, usually when I'm frustrated with the @#%@%^#@ing thing not working right.

Gotta believe that the dropping of the hood was not the primary cause of this leak.

Time to get under it and figure out where it is coming from, as little leaks often turn into big leaks in a microsecond and then you're got real troubles.......

Check the radiator seams, water pump weep hole, hoses, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks. I was pretty amazed when it happened. I am doing some investigation later tonight. I plan on checking all of that. I didnt think this was a common problem. My jeep just hates me! I SWEAR she does.

Back