• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Co-worker bought a TJ.....

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know many have had TJ's or know people with them so I am asking here. My co-worker bought a 2000 TJ (wife wanted convertible) to go wheeling in. Its a 6cyl. Auto bone stock. He wants to upsize tires for now and later on, add a lift (not soon). So, questions.....

1. Biggest tire without rubbing on stock TJ?
2. Is there any good websites (like NAXJA but for TJ's) where he can get GOOD info and advice when its time for lift, lockers, gears and I guess a swap to AW4 (because the wranglers only came with 3 speed transmissions up to about 2004???) ?

THANKS!!

Andy, Just talked to a friend of mine and this is what he had/has

"you could do 30" stock or 31" if you just wanted to do a hockey puck pacer lift under the coils. I have a rubicon express 4.5" lift with 1/2 spacers up front to level it out."

He has adj lowers and fixed uppers.

His is also a stick so I cant get an answer on the trans.

Leep

I had 31" on mine no lift no rubbing at full flex. Mine was also a 2000 but manual. The site I used to use was jeepforums.com when I had my TJ.

31's fit stock BUT if he has a lot of weight in it or runs a lot of flexy trails 30's will allow the best result.
Pirate, myjeeprocks, lost jeeps, and even here he can find a lot of good info that will be relevent to his tj

I used Jeepforum.com for most of my TJ questions. That 3 speed auto in his TJ is what I had and what a piece of crap. Shifted like a retarted donkey and was horrible with bigger tires. I ran 31's on mine with no rubbing. I eventually went with the teraflex 4.5" short arm kit on 35's. I rubbed a little at full flex so I added some 3/4" spacers and the rubbing went away. My low pinion 30 with the 35 out back were crap and quickly died after running 35's so I went with a 44 out back, 456 gears, and detroits front and rear. After that it was a great rig but I hated freezing my balls off in the winter and not being able to carry on a conversation with the person next to me or even be able to get any gear out back. The great thing about owning a TJ is that you appreciate your XJ that much more.

33x10.5x15 with a 2" spacer lift, just make sure to keep it on stock wheels.

Back