• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 drum: What size?

mcweenie

NAXJA Forum User
I recently just got a Rear Dana44 with out the brake components, Only the backing plates on it. I need everything else.
(not going with a disc conversion).
Parts stores dont seem to know what all I need and I'm trying to get this right the first time.

I have been searching tons of posts and everything I have found states the drum size needs to be 10x2.5". Found the parts I need to rebuild based on that at Napa and was ready to buy them.
So I measured my backing plates to be sure and problem is that my backing plates are 11" wide.

So what size drum, shoes, etc... do I actually need?

I have searched the forums for answers before this post and could not find what I needed.
Help, anyone???

actually that sounds about right. the backing plates need to be a little larger than the drum. so with a 10" ID drum, the outer should be about 11".

Dana 44's use 10" drums. This is the inner diameter of the drum. The backing plate is wider because you have the thickness of the drum itself to account for, and if you notice, the shoes don't necessary expand out past the lip of the backing plate.

From someone who has bought drums, shoes, and hardware for a Dana 44 before, you have 10" brakes. 9" brakes were on Chrysler 8.25's and mid to late model Dana 35's, 10" were on some early Dana 35's and the Dana 44.

Edit: 2stix beat me with the drum ID.

Last edited:
10"X2.5" on XJ D44
10"X1.75" on early D35
9"X2.5" on later D35 and all Chry8.25"

I'm pretty sure the 10" to 9" split was after '90, but I'm not positive.

Thanks everybody, that's what I was thinking after my research. Ya'll confirmed I was on the right track, I appreciate it!

I'll get back to ya if I run into any other issues on this.

Back