• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotor rubs on knuckle D30

playwithit

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced both the unit bearing (Timken HA597449) and rotors (Raybestos 780444R) on my 96 XJ. Both replacement parts are for the 1999.5< XJ D30. I did remove the dust shield.

Upon re installation, the rotor rubs to the point of binding on the knuckle. What's the issue? I believe this has been done many times without issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? does the thickness of the dust shield (1/16") make the difference?

What say you?

That is the part number for the 1999.5+ unitbearings. Rotors should be right though.

Correct. As I said, both are for 1999.5. I am swapping to the later model unit bearing and rotor.

I know it seems dumb and you have probably already checked but compare the new stuff to the old. I have received the wrong part due to the year split on more than one occasion, meaning the wrong year part was in the right box from the manufacture.

The rotors alone differ by 3/16"

Also you did not mention new calipers.

Read to the info at the link above. Assume that the parts store guys are mouth breathing morons. Determine your unit-hub type and tell the parts store you want rotors for either a 1998 or a 2000 as needed to match the unit-hubs.

I know it seems dumb and you have probably already checked but compare the new stuff to the old. I have received the wrong part due to the year split on more than one occasion, meaning the wrong year part was in the right box from the manufacture.

The rotors alone differ by 3/16"

Also you did not mention new calipers.

Hey josh,

I measured both the hub and the rotor and they are for the later using the link above.

p.s. I did not use the calipers I picked up today for this project.

Anyone remove the dust shield with no negative effect?

My dust shield has been gone for years! I have had no problems. If you wheel at all it just gonna collect stuff and get all bent up and rub.

Plz make absolute sure you are matching the correct rotors to the correct hubs.

PS It doesn't matter if you after using later hubs on an earlier axle, just as long as the hub and rotor match.

Measure twice! Although they look like the cast rotors they do measure 3 3/16". I'll return them in the am and get the correct ones.

Great write up Mike.

Thanks all that posted.

I would bet it is the rotor. Remember having the same issue, mine hitting the dust shield before the hub. This was years ago and I can't remember the details though. I did compare the rotors back at the parts store to ensure I got the proper ones when I did my exchange.

My dust shield has been gone for years! I have had no problems. If you wheel at all it just gonna collect stuff and get all bent up and rub.

Plz make absolute sure you are matching the correct rotors to the correct hubs.

PS It doesn't matter if you after using later hubs on an earlier axle, just as long as the hub and rotor match.

This is correct, my D30 has 87 knuckles/calipers/brackets and 97+ hubs and rotors.

Back