• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee

emartinez11

NAXJA Forum User
the steering wheel is loose feeling, like i can move it up and down. wondering how i would go about fixing that
also, when i turn right the horn honks? any ideas?:helpme:

also, i need a picture of an 88 jeep cherokee. theres a pressure regulator near the front thats got a screw in it. wondering where it connects to.

also normally where a PCV valve would go, theres a hole, the previous owner put a rag in it. now what i cant determine is what goes there, a breather filter, a grommet of some sort, or is it part of a Crankcase vent system..

any ideas?

your 88 have the in line 4.0 ? (i have seen some with the v-6 in them)

this is my 89 i-6 4.0
jeepstuff001.jpg

just as a reference.

a closer look.....
jeepstuff003.jpg

hope these help ya!

wow that is awesome. okay so at the top where you have the pcv type valve, thats whats missing. also, if you look right at the front of the valve cover, to your immediate right there a small metal canister thats whats plugged in my truck, what is that connected to.

so the bottom red arrow, is what PO has a screw inside of it. top red arrow, is where PO has a rag stuffed inside it. so with that said what is the bottom red arrow pointing to and what does it do.

ok, here you go....

the second arrow actualy (from the looks of it) points to the connecter/support for the line that goes from the air filter to the font of the valve cover. in his reply. here is how it runs in my 89 XJ...

jeepstuff001-1.jpg

and here is a close up of where it goes into the intake manifold....
jeepstuff002-1.jpg

it is the hose & elbow right in front of the wire looms. to the left of the date on the picture.

the purple line is the fuel line & filter (the bottom red arrow in PO's reply). the red line in here is pcv that PO is asking about. the green line is covered above in this responce.

hope this all helps you!

Last edited:
ok so that small silver canister is the fuel filter? i can barely read that purple writing.

looks like you wrote, FUEL FILTER? on the left side where that line comes out of the "Fuel filter" there is a screw in there. which im assuing is bad?

ok so that small silver canister is the fuel filter? i can barely read that purple writing.

looks like you wrote, FUEL FILTER? on the left side where that line comes out of the "Fuel filter" there is a screw in there. which im assuing is bad?

yeah its not easy "writing" with the mouse, lol.
and yes it does say "FUEL IN" as it comes from the tank to the fuel filter in the front and runs back towards the fire wall. if he has a screw in the filter you may want to get a realy good look & see if he has the fuel line hooked up in another way to get the gas to the rail.

as for the horn honking when you turn the steering wheel, you'll definateluy have to take the steering wheel off & check the copper ring that's in there. make sure that it's not bent the wriong way or in backwards. if need be they arent that expensive to replace (i've done it to too many other vehicles).

Last edited:
well its def getting fuel, i drive it to town all the time, the thing is idk how its getting fuel if that is plugged.
ill take some pics and upload them when i can so it will be a little easier to see what i mean.

that's kewl. i can't do pics atm, (left the battery to the camera in another state while visiting during christmas, :doh: )
the pics i can post now have been taken over the last few years of owning the XJ.

Last edited:
that canister that you are calling a filter is actually the fuel pressure regulator-- it uses engine vacuum to determine engine load and regulate the pressure between 31-39psi as needed.

close enough, lol. i know, just a little sarcasm. i couldn't think of what it actualy was, just that the fuel DID go through it. top of my head i called it a "filter".

getting old can suck sometimes. lol

Fuel filter is back by the tank.

okay, thank you for clearing that up. makes more sense now. so, the fuel pressure regulator, is connected to what. i dont want to have a damn screw in it. im thinking of doing a complete engine rebuild, or taking it in and seeing what a mechanic thinks needs to be fixed.

yeah i had a brain fart, couldn't think of what it was... like i had said.
" so, the fuel pressure regulator, is connected to what?"
emartinez11: i'll try to look into that in the am... working 2nd shift can be a pain sometimes. lol

Back