• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ misfire at full throttle sometimes.

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
Details, 97 XJ, Stroker 4.6, AW4,

I have an odd problem that I can't chase down. At full throttle I get a pop and misfire usually, it will do it once or twice in first gear at full throttle and sometimes in 2nd gear. Sometimes when it does this it will back fire also. I get no check engine light. Everything else is fine it runs great and it will ONLY do this at full throttle.

The plugs are good, it has new taylor spiral core wires, cap and rotor are good. I thought of changing the crank sensor to try and chase this problem down but before I could the crank sensor took its own life. One new crank sensor and I have the same problem.

It is a stroked 4.0 but I don't see that contributing to the problem. Its been in there 7 years now with about 35K miles or so on it. Its had this problem for some time now but I haven't been able to chase anything down. One thing I haven't done is swap from my Ford 24lb injectors to another set of LT1 injectors that I have. I really don't see that curing anything but I guess I should try.

Any thoughs or ideas on this? There is a Local mopar drag race points series that starts up in April. If I don't get the new motor for my Barracuda finished in time I will have to start the points series in my XJ :D. Its going to be slow enough as is so I don't need it crapping out on me at the track lol.

Any guess on what a 4300lb XJ on 35s with a stroked 4.0 will run? I am thinking 16.50

*Start with fuel pressure verified with a gauge at the schrader valve on the rail.

*A flat spot on the throttle position sensor could also cause this. They don't always set a code.

I'd try to verify fuel pressure at the rail. The engine might not be getting enough fuel fast enough at WOT.

*Start with fuel pressure verified with a gauge at the schrader valve on the rail.

*A flat spot on the throttle position sensor could also cause this. They don't always set a code.

Agree.

What did you do about the MAP for the stroker?

Have you tried the "toothpick" alignment of the synch sensor?

Back