• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad clutch or tranny?

johnMZ24

NAXJA Forum User
ok, well my prob is i dont know if the clutch or tranny is going bad on me. When i first start it in the morning i hear a fluttering noise and i can feel it in the shifter, but once warmed up( about 10 mins) it will go away. But when i drive it its hard to get into gears sumtimes, but once the trannys all warmed up(about half hourish) it will drive alot better. I do have to double clutch sometimes to get it into second downshifting or while at a stoplight to get into first but its not really hard and happens like 50% of the time im driving it. It also shakes bad but idk if its from the clutch or not its after about 55mph it shakes. I changed the tranny fluid and it still shifts the same. Theirs no leaking or anything like that... what can it be?

What kind of gear oil have you been putting in it?

These symptoms were somewhat similar for when my slave cylinder went out, do you feel or here any binding when in neutral idling, with the clutch fully pressed in?

well...not binding, but while i was on a hill maybe a month ago i let the clutch out and it didnt move n then a "pop"about a half second when i left the clutch out and it started rolling but this only happened twice and hasnt happened since.i looked at the fluid and its where its supposta be at(clutch fluid) and clear. Im using 80 90 right now its like 4 days old in it and still has same symptoms. I just dont wana buy another tranny and a clutch and find out its one or the other. oh and one more thing, when im coming to a stop and nothing is on in the jeep and im juss starting to come to a stop i can hear a faint grinding noise and can feel it like stoping the car, it does it if im rolling to a stop to but under 5mph...i had new brakes, both wheel bearings done also and new shocks up front.

If you are in Pennsykvania, I imagine it's pretty cold. Stiff shifting when cold is normal. Try synthetic gear lube which will stay thinner when cold.

To test your clutch for full release, start the engine. Step on the clutch for about 15 seconds. Then pull the shifter slowly into reverse. If it grinds or clunks, your clutch isn't releasing all the way. This would indicate a problem with the clutch slave or master cylinder.

For lube, a lot of the cold weather guys are running Mobil1 10W-30. It's got a similar viscosity to the gear oil when warm and doesn't thicken as much when cold. Plus its doesn't have the sulfurs of a GL5 gear oil. BTW, do NOT use GL5 gear oil unless it specifically says it's safe for brass synchros. Almost all conventional GL5 oil will corrode the synchros and shorten their life. Most synthetics are okay.

The incident of letting the clutch out and it not grabbing, sounds more like a throwout bearing problem. I had the opposite problem, pushing in the clutch sometimes didn't work or feel like it was fully releasing. In my case, it turned out to be a seized pilot bearing.

yea i just put the gl5 stuff in..ugh..oh well i guess il just buy another tranny n clutch and have it put in at one shot. is there an inspection hole or anything for the clutch?

I just wanted some opinions because its 159ish for a clutch and 300 to have it installed, butt if i get the tranny also it still the same 300 to have it installed. So if i have the clutch and tranny put in at same time its 300 labor, if not its 300 for the clutch and if the tranny is problem its another 300.

i can replace it if i wanted to.... i work till 5 and its dark by then, thus why i need a garage to do it.

You can do a tranny in the dark, it's not even that bad as long as you're dressed properly. A good LED drop light ($25 at home depot) and a headlamp help amazingly. Just did a transfer case swap last week in the dark in a parking lot.

I would keep the existing tranny. You know how it acts, you know it's been reliable so far. The GL5 hasn't been in there long, so drain it out, fill up with cheap 10w30 oil, drive it around the block, drain the oil out (will flush almost all of the remaining GL5 out.) Fill it up with good yellow metal safe GL5 or synthetic 10W30. Buy another one (junkyard trannies should never be assumed reliable till you go through them) and open it up, maybe rebuild it on your own time. Keep it as a spare.

Back