• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help installing a part

One_Sick_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I need help installing my new speedo gear that I have recently purchased. I thought it would be the easiest mod to do, but I can't get the speedometer to work for some reason, so I nevertheless need the help of someone more mechanically inclined than me to do the job. If anyone can come over to Chino Hills and help me out, I can offer a couple of my world famous burgers and a few brews. Thanks in advance!

When you put the speed sensor back in, you probably don't have it clocked properly. There are like three different notches on the speed sensor housing. And each notch has some numbers beside it. The number has to correspond with the number of teeth that your speedo gear has. And the prong on the retainer clip has to fit inside that notch. Put the clip in the wrong notch and the speedo won't work.

For example, one of the notches may say 28-32 beside it. If your speedo gear has 30 teeth, then the end of the retainer clip has to go into that notch.

When you put the speed sensor back in, you probably don't have it clocked properly. There are like three different notches on the speed sensor housing. And each notch has some numbers beside it. The number has to correspond with the number of teeth that your speedo gear has. And the prong on the retainer clip has to fit inside that notch. Put the clip in the wrong notch and the speedo won't work.

For example, one of the notches may say 28-32 beside it. If your speedo gear has 30 teeth, then the end of the retainer clip has to go into that notch.

I am upgrading to a 30 tooth gear and I made sure that the range was correct on the notch that i had everything lined up with. That's why I am asking for help, LOL.

James (jeprovo) should be able to get you sorted out, Tom... make sure to get in touch with him!

other than tooth count/color, are the gears the same? (shaft type, short vs long?)

Yup, they are both long shafts.

Carol, James PMed me his info, so I am trying to get in touch with him. I will just be glad when this issue is all sorted out. Then all I will need to do is fix my exhaust leak and then ball joints and then I should finally be able to start saving up for aftermarket upgrades!

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to James for coming over and getting my speedo gear in and my speedometer working again! 1 more repair down and many more to go, LOL.

Back