• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STP oil filter?

jamesonw23

NAXJA Forum User
So as I posted in another thread, the first oil change I did on the Jeep hasn't gone to well. The previous owner had Jiffy Lube do the oil changes, and they tend to run Penzoil which I cannot stand personally. So I decided to change it about 1000 miles early which Castrol 10w-30. I bought it at AutoZone and they were having a deal where you get a free filter with any 5qt oil purchase. I figured STP would be good since it's a well-known name, but I have hear mixed reviews. Plus, at first I only put 4.5 qts in as I didn't know the capacity was 6! So yesterday, I added almost another 3/4 of a quart which seemed to bring the level up to just about full. When I first did the change, I did it when the engine was hot so I'm not sure how much was still in there. I'm just wondering if I should re-do the entire change and go get a good filter (NAPA Gold). Any input?

check the oil level after oil changes until you know for sure. im sure that your stp filter will be ok for this oil change, but yes i recommend the napa gold filters. they are excellent quality for a great price and made my wix. you dont mention what year, but if your rig is an H.O., you can use a napa gold 51515 filter for larger capacity and more filter media.

just curious as to why you would do an oil change before knowing the oil capacity of your motor?

The STP filters are OK. The ones to stay away from are the Fram filters.

As stated, check fluid level. and add accordingly.. I always keep a qt or 2 of MMO in my heep.

Yea that's what I figured. I changed it because my buddy who also has an XJ was misinformed about the oil capacity as well. As of now, I think the oil level is at about the A on SAFE.

It's easier to monitor leakage and consumption accurately if you start with the oil up to the full mark. On a new vehicle, you need to keep a close eye on levels.

If you don't have an owner's manual, get a big magic marker and write the oil capacity onto the inside of the hood or elsewhere in the engine compartment, so you don't forget.

The Jeep 4.0L takes 6 quarts with the normal sized oil filter. Thats to the full mark on the dipstick. With the larger sized filters it can take anywhere from 6.25 quarts to 6.5 quarts. The line on the top of the "add" mark is 5 quarts.

Don't worry about adding ZDDP, just run a good oil, good filter, and change it often. For more info on oil for the 4.0L you can check Bob is the Oil Guy Forums.

Don't worry about adding ZDDP, just run a good oil, good filter, and change it often. For more info on oil for the 4.0L you can check Bob is the Oil Guy Forums.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049812

Our conclusion and current recommendation is to augment one of the new and superior base stock modern oils of the correct viscosity with additional ZDDP in order to bring the oil’s EP characteristics to that for which the engine was designed. We know from years of oil industry testing that ZDDP is compatible with all base stocks and other additive packages including the newer Boron EP additives, so there is little risk in adding it to achieve the equivalent of 0.12% phosphorus, a level similar to that formulated into SF or SG oils.

Do what you wish Jeepkid03. I will continue to add ZDDP to my oil, and recommend adding ZDDP to anyone with flat tappets. The current issue of Four Wheeler also has a letter regarding flat tappet lifters and premature wear. The editor recommends adding ZDDP to alleviate this phenomenon.

Back