• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints and WJ conversion.

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question, everyone says you need to put WJ lower ball joints in your axle when you do the WJ conversion. Is there any particular reason? Does anyone use XJ LOWER ball joint instead of WJ ones?

The taper on the wj lower bj's are different than the xj's and match the taper in the wj knuckle itself. You could use the xj lowers (some people have) but you will eventually wear out the hole in the knuckle and need to replace it.

^ 100% correct.

WJ balljoints cost about the same as XJ balljoints anyways. In fact, I just checked alljeep.com (where I usually buy my balljoints, their prices on Spicers are great) and the super/WJ d30 balljoint kits are about $1.50 cheaper than the regular d30 balljoint kits.

Dunno why they call them that. They're 99+ Grand Cherokee (i.e. WJ) balljoints really. I guess they saw people selling the "super" d35 kits and decided to call WJ d30s "super" d30s.

Are the upper ball joints all the same between XJ and WJs? If they are I could just order two "super D30" ball joint kits, amiright?

Yep, uppers are exactly the same part.

So basically, since the uppers are the same for XJ and WJ, Four XJ balljoints would be fine since the lowers need to be XJ and uppers are same part #?

Not sure how you got that. The lowers need to be WJ, and the uppers are the same WJ vs XJ, so you can use 4 WJ balljoints.

Back