• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to pull AW4

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 with the 4.0L and AW4 auto which I am trying to remove. I have unplugged all electronics and removed the shifter linkage. I took out all four? bolts holding the transmission to the block and all the bolts holding the torque converter. The crossmember is unbolted as well. Is there anything else that I need to remove/unbolt?

It is a 4x4 and the shifter linkage for the transfercase has been removed and all electronics unplugged. The driveshafts have also been removed.

Did you remove the starter?

Did you remove the top two bolts?

have fun with the top 2 bolts

You'll also have to remove the screws holding the aluminum shield to the transmission. They screw in from the front. One above the starter. One below the intake/exhaust. And one in the middle on the bottom.

They have it covered take out all of those and it should just slide out. But really just dig in with a flashlight and see what's left. Also your probably going to have to drop your exhaust.

I did also remove the starter as well. That aluminum shield was in two pieces and I only removed the bottom half to get to the torque converter bolts. The top two transmission bolts were a bit of a pain but weren't too bad once I got the idea to just lower the back of the trans enough to get to them a little easier but I did get them out as well.

You need to remove all the small (10mm head iirc) bolts from the aluminum shield, it goes behind the flexplate and crank flange and without unbolting it there is no way to get the transmission off.

Back