• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this???

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
Alright, i'm stumped. Trying to figure out what this is has been bugging me for a long time.

emissions.jpg

My Jeep is the only one i've ever seen with this on here. Older, newer, and even same year ones i've seen/worked on have an empty space here as it's a popular spot for re-locating vacuum canisters with after market bumpers (note how I had to put mine to the right of the accumulator). As best as I can tell it's something emissions related and appears to be primarily vacuum operated.

99 4.0L, originally from New York according to carfax.

I know mine's not the only one with this on it, but it's certainly not common. Can't figure out what makes it special enough to have that while others of the same year/options don't have it.

in southeast Charlotte, my 98 XJ has no such device... I've never seen it, and this is my 2nd 98 XJ, plus the many I have worked on. Must be a Steel Creek thing, ha!

weird...

Haha too bad i've only been in this part of Charlotte for 2 weeks, and this has been on my Jeep for 12 years lol.

Ok, so if it's so common then, what the hell is it? A filter for what part of the emissions?

im going with flux capacitor as well.

Yep, emissions related. Parts list calls it the "Fuel Vapor Vent Filter" for the Leak Detection Pump. Didn't some New York vehicles start getting California treatment around '99?

Here's my CA emissions engine bay...

You can see my vacuum cannister relocated to about the same spot as well. Did you attach yours to the hard brake line running down the firewall too?

My '01 has the same canister, and it was originally titled in KY and is now in TN.

No, really, it is pretty common.
X2.

My current 99 and old '99 have that canister there, as well as my dad's '01.

Since some say they don't have it in their '98, I'm going to guess its a '99+ thing.

Yep, emissions related. Parts list calls it the "Fuel Vapor Vent Filter" for the Leak Detection Pump. Didn't some New York vehicles start getting California treatment around '99?

Here's my CA emissions engine bay...

You can see my vacuum cannister relocated to about the same spot as well. Did you attach yours to the hard brake line running down the firewall too?

ahhhhh haaaaaaa. Wasn't aware that NY had started doing a CA-like emissions type system around the late 90's. If it's a 99+, why isn't it on my buddy's 2000?

And yes if memory serves I did attach mine to the brake line on the firewall. Really about the only location to put that canister thanks to the flux capac...uhh.."fuel vapor vent filter".

Was kinda hoping it was a flux capacitor...."hey guys, look what MY Jeep can do!"

49 state emission package vehicles are sold new in every state except CA. 50 state emission package vehicles are sold new in every state that they can be dumped in when supply exceeds demand in CA.

Check your emission decal under the hood.

hold your horses... my 98 has one..... i think its for blinker fluid, my blinkers stopped working after i fiddled with it installing the new brakelines today and after throwing a wrench through them... has to contain blinker fluid. musta leaked out through the cracked lenses... hmph.

Back