• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent wiper function not working

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so the snow built up on my Jeep and I went to turn the wipers on and they didn't move. I wiped off a bunch of snow and they moved but after some driving got stuck again. I tried leaving the switch on to see if they would start to move again and got nothing. I wiped all the snow off at this point and they moved again but now they will no longer function as intermittent wipers. When I turn them on to the intermittent option they still move but not intermittently. Also when I turn them off they just stop where they are and do not return to the default resting position. As I drove around the rest of the day if I left it in the intermittent position they would start functioning intermittently but as soon as I turned them off and then back on they were no longer intermittent in the intermittent position.

Anyone have an idea on where I should start to fix this? I was thinking the switch assembly but figured I would get some insight before I jump into this blindly.

Anyone have an idea on where I should start to fix this? I was thinking the switch assembly but figured I would get some insight before I jump into this blindly.

Well, knowing at least the year of the XJ we're talking about here would help - there was more than one way that the intermittent function was controlled over the XJ's production life.

But what I can tell you is this: when the intermittent function ceased working on my 2000, replacing the wiper motor (which handles the intermittent wipe in that year) solved the issue.

Well, knowing at least the year of the XJ we're talking about here would help - there was more than one way that the intermittent function was controlled over the XJ's production life.

But what I can tell you is this: when the intermittent function ceased working on my 2000, replacing the wiper motor (which handles the intermittent wipe in that year) solved the issue.

Wow I cant believe I forgot the basics. I look like such a newb but I promise I'm not haha. My XJ is a 97 so I am guessing that mine is very similar to your 2000. I have a 96 that I am using for parts to help rebuild my cousin's XJ. Could i use the wiper motor from it?

Wow I cant believe I forgot the basics. I look like such a newb but I promise I'm not haha.

No worries - happens to us all sometimes ;)

My XJ is a 97 so I am guessing that mine is very similar to your 2000. I have a 96 that I am using for parts to help rebuild my cousin's XJ. Could i use the wiper motor from it?

Unfortunately, I don't have a good way to check interchange for the '97 and '96. NAPA is listing P/N RAY 49900 for both years, but I really don't know how accurate that is - my guess is that it's probably OK (NAPA's online catalogue has been pretty accurate for me), but you'd likely be better off pulling both and comparing them. Worst case scenario is that the '96 doesn't fit the '97, but at least you've already got it out so the job's already halfway-done by the time you go to pick up the new one.

The other thing is that early XJs used an external wiper delay module. I'm pretty sure it had been eliminated by '96 and a different part number is listed for earlier models, so that tends to jive with the numbers above. Might want to double-check that, though.

No worries - happens to us all sometimes ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a good way to check interchange for the '97 and '96. NAPA is listing P/N RAY 49900 for both years, but I really don't know how accurate that is - my guess is that it's probably OK (NAPA's online catalogue has been pretty accurate for me), but you'd likely be better off pulling both and comparing them. Worst case scenario is that the '96 doesn't fit the '97, but at least you've already got it out so the job's already halfway-done by the time you go to pick up the new one.

The other thing is that early XJs used an external wiper delay module. I'm pretty sure it had been eliminated by '96 and a different part number is listed for earlier models, so that tends to jive with the numbers above. Might want to double-check that, though.

So is that part number the same for the 2000? If it is then I would assume that the 96 is the same since that year they did the big change for a lot of the electronics.

So is that part number the same for the 2000?

D'oh - forgot to mention that part! They're not the same; 2000 & '01 has RAY 4922310 listed.

If it is then I would assume that the 96 is the same since that year they did the big change for a lot of the electronics.

Ehhh - I've learned to be careful when dealing with the '96-'97 and 2000-'01 model years; those being the runout and changeover years, there are a lot of peculiarities specific to them. In this case, it looks like the RAY 49900 is good for '96 to '99 (didn't check to see if it goes lower), but 2000 & '01 got their own motor.

XJs are like a box of Cracker Jacks - you never know quite what surprise you're going to find ;)

D'oh - forgot to mention that part! They're not the same; 2000 & '01 has RAY 4922310 listed.

Ehhh - I've learned to be careful when dealing with the '96-'97 and 2000-'01 model years; those being the runout and changeover years, there are a lot of peculiarities specific to them. In this case, it looks like the RAY 49900 is good for '96 to '99 (didn't check to see if it goes lower), but 2000 & '01 got their own motor.

XJs are like a box of Cracker Jacks - you never know quite what surprise you're going to find ;)

Ain't that the truth haha Now I wonder if replacing the motor in my 97 like you did with your 2000 will correct the problem. My question really is the intermittent controls are in the motor like the 2000 or somewhere else like the older models.

96 will probably work. The difference in part numbers 96-99 vs. 00-01 is the wire connector on the wiper motor.

Back