• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM PS return hose, $100...really?

Distended

NAXJA Forum User
I have been wrastling the PS return hose on my 1996 Cherokee. It has been leaking since we got the truck last month. I went to replace it with a hose the local auto parts guy gave me, turns out he gave me the wrong size so I found some fuel line laying around and used it. I then posted up on this forum as well as another about using fuel hose as a substitute for PS return. The posters made it clear that was a bad call...nothing new for me.

The feeling I got after reading the responses on the thread was that wayward PS fluid was something that was not worth risking. So I decided I would install OEM stuff.

Anyway, I called my local Jeep dealer and asked what the replacement cost of the PS return hose is. After a few moments the Jeep parts guy came back, cleared his throat, and said the price was just over $100. After a moment to collect ourselves, we both began to chuckle.

So I decided to try and reuse the current OEM return hose to see if I could clamp it down better. Turns out after I removed it there was some broken plastic in the hose which I thought was the problem. I believe I saw in the previous owner's maintenance records where he had the PS pump replaced. I am guessing whoever removed the PS hose off the old reservoir may have broken off the plastic fitting on the reservoir leaving stuck in the hose. Regardless, I hoped that removing the plastic & tightening the clamps would make me golden...not so much! Still leaking. I guess it is possible there is still junk in the hose causing the leak, but I thought I blew it all out..

So if the OEM hose is leaking is it worth risking pay a hundo for new OEM PS return hose or do you think there is a safe, suitable replacement, eg. ATF hose? Or is there a another reason why the hose might be leaking?

The return hose is not under pressure, so you should be able to use basically anything and any clamps. Rockauto has them for under $10. If its the fitment to the res thats the problem I'm pretty sure you can just replace the res itself and not the entire pump assembly

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Just use ATF type hose and good clamps, possibly fuel line/lined clamps.

Search "lined hose clamps" at napaonline.com

Use hydraulic hose (transmission line) and the hose clamps that have no cuts in them. Most clamps have cuts in them for the worm screw to work, but the high quality ones don't have cuts, so when you tighten them, they don't mess up the hose.

I get my clamps at the local hydraulic equipment shop, and they aren't much more than the cheapo ones @ the auto parts store

That looks a heck of a lot like the pressure hose... :confused: wonder why it's listed as the return hose.

As far as I knew, the return hose was the one jesus-clipped onto the plastic reservoir and steering box, and could be replaced with any suitably sized oil cooler hose.

Find the local TSC or Farm and Fleet. Take what's left of your old hose. They will make you a hydraulic hose on the spot with the proper fittings, it will cost you like $20 and be rated to 3000PSI.

problem solved.

Back