• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPU grounded ????

JEEP_cannible

NAXJA Forum User
I have to ask this,because it just dosn't sound right.When I had my dash apart I noticed that there was no ground at the CPU case.Its bolted to a steel plate,but the plate is plastic riveted to the dash.The steel isn't attached to any of the actual body.Should it be????

It might on the surface seem to be a good idea, but in fact the best place for it to get its ground is the same place the sensors get their ground.

Let me guess--Renix of some vintage?

ECU under the dash, driver's side--it is grounded at the dipstick tube, along with the ICM/coil and the o2 sensor, and some other items.

It is that way so as to provide a more direct ground to the ignition system and engine management system with the battery.

The one and only unibody ground is a POS braided strap from the head to the firewall--it should be replaced with a 4 or 2 gauge cable.

Could also be the TCU on an 87-96 that he's talking about... which is grounded through its wiring harness as well.

You hit the nail on the head Joe.Its an 88 renix,and its exactly were you said it was.I'm thinking I need to clean the grounds up some more.Thanks Guys

Back