• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift and RC longarms

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
A buddy of mine is wanting to order a 3" kit and would like to run longarms. The lowest setup on longarms I have seen or heard of is 3.5". What issues is he gonna run into with this? I am not too familiar with longarms and figured it would be just as easy to start a thread about it. I told him to just go to 4.5" but for his own reasons he would rather not. :dunno: He will be chiming in later since the filters at his dealership won't let him on NAXJA! :D

Yeah I would also like this setup but there is. 4" kit made by iro I think? I was going to go halves with a friend and we were just going to make another

I think the only problem with longarms at such a low height would have to depend on where they were located.

If they are below the frame rails they will drag, but if they are tucked in the frame there would probably be some clearance issues with the frame rails, exhaust, oil pan . . .

This is pure speculation as I have not seen or done this before.

I'm the buddy FlexdXJ was referring to. I'm looking to get the RC long arms and run that kit with the 3" Rusty's lift. I'll be getting the heavy duty front coils since I have a big bumper to go up front and the rear leafs are set for 3.5" of lift.

I figure with the 3" up front, there's going to be caster issues leaving my axle a bit too far forward. So, is this going to cause any driving concerns? Seems like I shouldn't have too many problems beyond that.

call RC. i know you can run TNT and RK's LA kits on 3" of lift, like you said the only issue is caster, BUT it you push the axle forward say half an inch or so you wont have the issue. a y-link is pretty lax as far as geometry goes.

I did talk to Jason this morning when I ordered the kit. He seemed to think that I would have some kind of vibration issue with the caster being off. Although he sells this stuff everyday, I'm not seeing how it would cause any vibes.

That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Do you know by off-chance what brand of long arms he's running?

I'm the buddy FlexdXJ was referring to. I'm looking to get the RC long arms and run that kit with the 3" Rusty's lift. I'll be getting the heavy duty front coils since I have a big bumper to go up front and the rear leafs are set for 3.5" of lift.

I figure with the 3" up front, there's going to be caster issues leaving my axle a bit too far forward. So, is this going to cause any driving concerns? Seems like I shouldn't have too many problems beyond that.

Why not throw a .75" spacer up front Josh? The weight of the bumper could bring that down a little.

this is my plan, kinda, after all the body/cage work is done. hopefully next winter...

from what i've read and found out as long as you get your geometry right it shouldn't be a problem, but then again i'm going to be setting up a whole new axle so i can just move mounts around.

theoretically, as long as you get the geometry correct by moving the axle forward there shouldn't be any problems, other than what others have said about clearence and where you place the mounts

I got your pm, but I'll chime in here,

I'm running a 4 inch lift, and the RC long arms, I get stuck on the brackets EVERY single outing.
Snow, rocks, and anything that slides underneath.

Honestly better of either piecing together a lift/long arms, or getting a long arm kit.
especially since you have an aftermarket bumper 3.5"+ would be better as the front will probably drop about .5" or more.
I would go with OME 934 coils, and their 2" HD leafs, which usually net around 3.25-3.5" . Or a bastard pack. There are a few vendors here that make custom parts. So, Im sure they could make the long arms shorter for you.

I would go with OME 934 coils, and their 2" HD leafs, which usually net around 3.25-3.5"

I would too................In fact, I will here in a couple weeks! :D I have the CS034RA packs and ordered extra leafs, should i hold off on putting the extra leafs on until i get the packs on? Sorry for the threadjack Josh!

i have run longarms at as low as 2.5" or so.

i wouldnt do it again. midarms, yes. but no need for uber long arms at that height

what i would do is make new lca brackets on the axle end up higher. more clearance, better control arm angles and more droop than you will ever need

I got your pm, but I'll chime in here,

I'm running a 4 inch lift, and the RC long arms, I get stuck on the brackets EVERY single outing.
Snow, rocks, and anything that slides underneath.

Not surprised...that kit doesn't look very well thought out.

i have run longarms at as low as 2.5" or so.

i wouldnt do it again. midarms, yes. but no need for uber long arms at that height

what i would do is make new lca brackets on the axle end up higher. more clearance, better control arm angles and more droop than you will ever need

^This on every point.

That's exactly what I was wanting to hear. Do you know by off-chance what brand of long arms he's running?

I've been off school so I lost touch with him for a week... Just talked to him and they're Rock Krawler long-arms that he scored on KSL for $100 and an OME 3" full spring lift :cool:

I have the 4.5" long arms from RC and I been thinking of bringing it down to 3" or 3.5". I was wondering if it was possible to run em that low. I was afraid the arms would come in contact with the frame rail on uptravel but I have to bumpstop 5" or so up front just to keep my 32's off the uncut fenders so they probably won't come near the rails. I don't see caster being an issue since there's quite a bit of adjustment in both upper and lower arms.

I don't have any issues with the long arm brackets dragging. They are just like the other long arm brackets out there, like BDS and such.

This is where the arms are at with 4.5" springs:

DSCF6843.jpg

Last edited:
If you already have 5" of uptravel with no issues, you could theoretically drop it an inch and still have 4" of uptravel. I ran 4" of uptravel with no complaints.

Also, not to start that debate, but TNT's control arm mounts are above the frame. I would have dragged the RC mounts all over the place.

Back