• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX 15 clutch problem? HELP!!!

musikman43155

NAXJA Forum User
A few months back I replace the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, slave cylinder etc. in my trasmission. My XJ still needs a ton of work so I haven't been driving it much, however anytime I drove it, the trasmission worked fantastically.

Fast forward to a few nights ago, I lent my car to my brother & HAD to drive my Jeep. I drove the XJ because I had no choice & took it through the car wash to blow some salt off of it to keep it from "curing".
Back when we replaced everything, we drilled a 1" hole into the bell housing to spray some PB Blaster up there because it seemed seized up. I don't think it helped, but, a hole remains in the bell housing because I sort of forgot about it.

So, yesterday morning I went to get into the Jeep, started it & came back 15 minutes later to leave & found the clutch pedal very " limp". When pressed down, you felt zero resistance until an inch from the floor. With the clutch pedal to the floor, it would NOT go into gear. I tried pumping it, but, it didn't help @ all. The clutch master cylinder is still full of fluid.

SO, is it possible moisture got through the bellhousing & froze something, or fouled it otherwise? I'm hoping it's something very simple the new clutch etc has probably 200 miles on it. I'm stumped on this one..
THANKS!!

yes, it's possible that the clutch fork is frozen on the shaft, but I'd think that the master would have enough force to pop it free.

External or internal slave?

Internal Slave. I pumped & pumped & pumped the clutch & it never gain any pressure. I also checked the master cylinder fluid 7 it has not gone down any suggesting the slave broke & is dumping fluid.

I've seen trouble with return valve in the M/C falling off in some of the new ones from Autozone. I had around 3 fail before I listened to Joe and got a good one. Also, I noticed in that list of new parts you didn't list a flywheel. The internal slave systems are really, really finicky when it comes to flywheel thickness. When you bleed it are you noticing a decrease in fluid in the reservoir? It really sounds like the return valve is not sealing the system when you hit the pedal or you have a lot air in the system. Keep us informed on the outcome.

I believe I have found the problem via another forum; the clutch master cylinder! As you mentioned, I found a thread on another forum, who has the same problem & found the fluid in the MC was a greyish spotty color. Apparently the Autozone MC is junk & something is causing it to fail ala the thing deteriorating & breaking it.

I'm going to put the stock MC back in which is probably fine, I just replaced everything when I replaced the internal slave cylinder. I never had a chance to test the old MC because the slave was out.

Back