• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a/c eliminator how to!!!

hebrew hammer

NAXJA Forum User
after hours of searching with not many turn ups i figured il be one of the few to help out the xj community. i have a 2000 sport the compressor started making noise a few weeks ago and after a good 10 trail hours new years day it was less then happy to say the least. every part store i went to they had no idea what i was talking about when i explained it was a compressor eliminator, more or less a dead idler pulley. after a bit of research napa carry's one made for the 4.0 on a NON-a/c 93' xj the part number is 660-1819, remember that's through napa. the kit comes with spacers and hardware. i opted to get the same bolts that come but an inch shorter so it fits better. for proper pulley alignment, there is a spacer in the kit as well, it measures .220 snug the pulley back up the same you would a wheel bearing as to not invite premature wear. hope this helps out for people experiencing the same problems.

P1120724.jpg

P1120726.jpg

P1120728.jpg

P1120725.jpg

P1120723.jpg

P1120722.jpg

P1120727.jpg

Well, nice to see a part number for Napa. I got mine at the dealership, no problem, one phone call and one trip.

BTW, while we always love good info, implying around here that you will be one of the few to help out the XJ community might not set right with some folks. There are many, many helpful people around here. :)

Dorman part number for the 97-99 is 34237 if that helps anyone. Can't remember what all compressors are the same as that generation.

Nice, simple i LIKE IT. or you could move your alt up there and get it out of the mud. If deep water is your thing.

Nice to know it can be made to work. Most of the listings I could find said 93-95, IIRC, and that was it.

The Renix guys are screwed though. If you have a Renix and even THINK you might want to loose the compressor down the road you need to locate an OEM non-a/c equipped XJ and grab the bracket/idler/pulley off of it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I am so angry over your comment about helping I nearly choked on my lunch. :speepin:

The Renix guys are screwed though. If you have a Renix and even THINK you might want to loose the compressor down the road you need to locate an OEM non-a/c equipped XJ and grab the bracket/idler/pulley off of it.

I have one sitting in the garage if anyone needs it. :D

So how much did it cost you to have the AC evacuated by an EPA certified shop? :)
if his is anything like mine, all you would get evacuated is air. I put a gauge on it and got a big whopping 0 psi reading.

damn lousy rusted out AC lines... :smsoap:

well let me first start off by sayin thanks for the positive feed back and let me clarify the statement of being one of the few to help out WITH THIS TOPIC :D
So how much did it cost you to have the AC evacuated by an EPA certified shop? :)
in awnser to your question it helps it have friends haha, and im in california now so they are all about some epa and fines.

I think he was talking to me. :) Since I know you, $15. It needs a new bearing, but those cost like $3.

Back