• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help on sick custom job!

boss hoss

NAXJA Forum User
so in my xj i wanna cut out the back windows from back seat back, and then move hatch up and make it like a 4 door pickup known as an apache, if anyone can give me ideas how to start and get this done id apreciate it so much! i wanna rhino line it as well, but idk how to do it and keep the wieght i need in back and create it so it wont leak when raining and what not, thanks a million guys!

Tape measure, some cutting tools, a welder and lots and lots and lots of time.

There isn't going to be a writeup or walk through on this.

Two search terms that may be useful to you: 'Cheromanche' and 'truggy'.

Also check out XJDB; there are some good photos there.

Have you tried antibiotics? I know you said it was sick...
Search for chop top as well. Goatman did a clean job on his, if he did a thread on it, it'd probably be pretty old by now, have to search way back.

thnks guys found some stuff on search thnk u a ton, in opinions is it sick and usefull for crawlers?
Probably not sick and infected no, as Darky said try getting that fixed with something.
Useful? Depends on what your definition of that is and how much work you really put into it. I've been in situations were I would have taken out the rear quarter glass, roof, hatch whatever no question but it just that worth all the work? That's no really for me to answer for you.

i would buy mj but i want 4door. mj is the comanche yes? i have never seen a 4 door, and i may not do it, i wanted to do it create an external cage and put a spare mount back there and weld a black rhinolined tool box on the side

i'm in the process of doing this now, lots and lots and lots of time are needed. well for me anyway. i searched tons of threads for a few months before i started on mine. the 4 doors are easy to find threads on. there are a bunch here and almost every build thread in the cherokee section on pirate4x4 is a chop top. while you are doing it there are tons of "may as well while i'm at it" kind of things to do before you finish up

i would buy mj but i want 4door. mj is the comanche yes? i have never seen a 4 door, and i may not do it, i wanted to do it create an external cage and put a spare mount back there and weld a black rhinolined tool box on the side

It would look something like this?

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Only a homo would drive a car like that.

Just my two cents, but what good is an opening hatch when the back is going to be full of crap? You'll have to unload the bed to open the hatch every time. For what?, so you can get to that 10 inchs (get your minds out of the gutter) of storage behind the seat. Thats why the back seat folds forward. Save the time and make it solid you'll have less leaks.

Umm, I dont hafta unload everything from the back to get the window off...and I can get to the storage behind the seat from the inside. All depends on how you design it and load it.

I was refering to the original post not yours. OP wants to use the stock hatch from the sounds of it. Unless he uses only the top half as you did, that makes sense.

Back