• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares?

Doug Ricks

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about fender flares jeeps been throwin some mud since I went to 33 12.50s what about tj flares ? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I went with the $350+ Bushwackers a while back. Will not make that mistake twice. The plastic is VERY stiff and brittle. The slightest impact and they crack. My bushwackers are now held together with about 10lbs. of JB weld for plastic and duct tape on the back side. I have had to remove them and piece them back together numerous times. Total crap and RIDICULOUSLY overpriced. They look nice and if you don't plan to wheel hard then they will be fine, but Rubicon+Bushwackers =Bad News. Look at Rusty's "Flex" Cut out Flares. I have heard good things about them and they are a little less than the bushwackers.

Last edited:
I know I'm not SoCal chapter, but ... TJ flares FTW. Cheap & effective with 33s.

0714101327a.jpg

I just think that half a grand for flares is beyond ridiculous. That's a winch, a custom bumper, a locker, or any number of things that can actually assist on the trail.

Yep...but they sure look good! The way the front fender looks with them on looks better than BW's new flat fenders for the same price! I'm not sold on the flat fender look yet...

And then there's the trade off, too. They claim 35's with only a 4" lift. Is that a cost comparison with paying for a 6" Long Arm and 35's? I dunno, maybe....I'm a wussy-boy and my 3.5" with 31's handle all the little trails just fine for now...

Last edited:
If I had the cash I go with the Rusty's flexys but no cash makes me lean toward the tj flares . I see using 4 rears and also front & rears whats the best and what do you guys think is a fair $$ to pay

I went with rear TJ Flares on all corners. Im pleased dosent completely cover the tire but keeps 90% of the water from splashing up on the windshield

Photo0111.jpg

If I had the cash I go with the Rusty's flexys but no cash makes me lean toward the tj flares . I see using 4 rears and also front & rears whats the best and what do you guys think is a fair $$ to pay
That's up to you. Which do you prefer the look of?

Last edited:
Can't say I know a whole lot about this, but these look REALLY good! Priced like Bushwackers, and the video looks like they hold up.

http://icelandoffroad.com/CherokeeXJ/XJFenderFlares/tabid/1951/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I like these too, but they're Japanese built:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4145dc031e

I think Icelandic was having business issues... a buddy has some on his ZJ, but had mounting bolt issues from the get go... they look nice though.

I like the "finished" look of the front TJ on the front... most don't.
Most split the rear flares with the front section on the door... I swapped Pass. to Dr. and so on and left them one piece...
I'd spend ALLOT of time searching the mod. forum, there's allot there.

Curt

I went with rear TJ Flares on all corners. Im pleased dosent completely cover the tire but keeps 90% of the water from splashing up on the windshield

Photo0111.jpg
A TJ Sahara rear flare would likely cover that tire. They are 1" wider than regular TJ flares.

Darky said:
Hey! Get outta here New Jersey! ;)
And if New jersey might be allowed to make one last comment before I "get outta here", here is another (pricey-but-not-like-some-others) option: NAJA thread. I love helping where I'm not loved ... :D

Don't understand why people spend so much money on flairs. Guess you have to if your you live in a lame state that requires flairs lol. OK/TX is ftw. I kept my stock flairs but trimmed em up nicely.

Sorry but bushwacker flairs =:puke::puke::puke:

The Bushwacker Flares are not as bad as they were years ago.

Two years ago they changed the formulation of the plastic to make them a lot more flexible. I swapped my cracked ones as soon as the new formulation was available, and I haven't had any issues since.

PRICE?? Once and a while you can find them BRAND NEW IN THE BOX on E-Bay for around $230.

I just picked up a set for our 1999 4 door XJ last week for $230... a few hours later the guy listed another set (he must be sitting on a stash of them).

Unless your rig is a DD they are just gonna get ripped off on the trail
and personally i think they look absolutely ugly unless they are the stock ones

Back