• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD Suspension Basics ?

tdkask

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a question that I can't seem to get my head around, and thought I'd ask for opinions and experiences from those with more of a clue;

In both front coil setups and rear leaf springs, is it better for ride and flex to go with more spring or with moderate spring and some spacers/shackles?

Scenario 1: 2" lift coils/2" block and 2" lift springs/2" shackles.
or
Scenario 2: 4 inch lift coils and 4 inch lift leafs packs.

Please base response on hypothetical coils and leafs from same basic design and maker, all other things created equal, just taking into consideration the ride and flex and controllability of one method versus the other. Also, could you offer some of the logic behind why one is better than the other, if possible, as I can see benefits of both. It would be a DD with occasional light weekend wheeling (fire trails and camping trails) and have no more than 33" tires, where I'd want to get where I was going, but usually just be going to work or the store.

(I also have considered a rear spring box with stock shackles, only lowered.)

Thanks. I always appreciate the responses here and willingness to share insight.

The easiest answer? Look around at everybody else's builds. You don't really see people going with spacers if they can afford coils. If you want 4", buy 4" coils. Leafs are different. Most people will run a longer shackle in order to allow the spring to move and flex.

So a leaf spring that give more lift would have to be thicker pack with more arch, therefore less flex...

BUT...

A coil with more lift (though maybe a little stiffer?) would allow a reasonable ride, still, but allow the full range of flex? i.e.- once a shorter stock spring is at full flex it would drop out with the spacer?

These are the perspectives I am back and forth with on this... but as you said, there probably wouldn't be as many people doing it mostly one way if the other was equal or better.

I have considered a possible lengthened, slightly lifter rear spring on a slightly lowered mounting point, and a shackle or even slider concept. Coils are where I get the biggest headache. Is there a longer, weaker coil to allow less stiff, but still lift, and long range when decompressed, and NOT sag soon? Who makes a good variable rate in 4" or so range? Thanks.

With coils,you want the longer spring so it wont bind at max travel.Leaves are a little more complicated,you need a good balance between the spring and shackle for the best flex.

Last edited:
Coils are easy. A lifted coil will be longer. They can make the same rate as stock while being longer and giving more height.

Back