• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"knocking" sound from the rear hatch area

stephenfarris

NAXJA Forum User
Everytime I go out wheeling there sounds like there something loose behind my rear seat. I have a '99 4-door with nothing in the trunk area. It sounds like it may be coming from behind the pastic rear door hatch cover. Is there anything back there that is loose behind any of the rear plastic panels that would cause this knocking noise? It kinda sounds like something is not straped down like tire tools of spare tires bouncing around. I haven't pulled the panels yet so I figured that I would ask here first. Leaf shackle bushings are tight and there is no spare tire or tools back there, also no roof rack to rattle around.

Everytime I go out wheeling there sounds like there something loose behind my rear seat. I have a '99 4-door with nothing in the trunk area. It sounds like it may be coming from behind the pastic rear door hatch cover. Is there anything back there that is loose behind any of the rear plastic panels that would cause this knocking noise? It kinda sounds like something is not straped down like tire tools of spare tires bouncing around. I haven't pulled the panels yet so I figured that I would ask here first. Leaf shackle bushings are tight and there is no spare tire or tools back there, also no roof rack to rattle around.

Are the factory jack and wheelbrace still under the back seat? Anything else under there? Rear seat hinge bolts can also occasionally loosen up over time; give the spare tyre carrier a check if it's still there.

Wiper motor and armature, electrical connections, tail lights... Check everything. See this thread from a few days ago; I was tracking down some rattles as well and you may find the list of areas I was attacking useful.

I only have one small amp under the back seat, no factory stuff under there. I hate to start tearing everything apart just yet. Mine is usually from a good bump or speedbreakers. Then it sounds like a big speaker box thats not bolted down bounced. I was thinking loose wiper motor or something big with some weight behind the plastic covers back there.

I was thinking loose wiper motor or something big with some weight behind the plastic covers back there.

Wiper motor has the most weight, followed by the latch and locking mechanism.

Unfortunately you're probably going to have to do some teardown, but the panels aren't terrible to remove. Mostly they're screwed down in obvious locations; once you start taking them out, it'll be fairly straightforward as to how it comes out. Just be careful on reassembly - it's easy to overtighten the screws and crack the plastic.

This happened to me on my 96. It turned out that the adjustment screws for the rear hatch needed to be turned out to tighted up the rear hatch contact. I guess the rubber seal gets a little worn out and causes the door to "slam" when wheeling, even though it's closed. Loosen the set-nut and give them 1/2 turns. Each time, close the rear hatch. If you get to the point the hatch does not latch, back off 1/2 turn and you should be good. Every now and then if I slam down on something, I will hear it again.

Also, check your uppper shock mounts. If they are loose, they will cause the creek noise. I had both of these issues, so I'm not sure exactly which one it was since I fixed them both at the same time. :dunno:

This happened to me on my 96. It turned out that the adjustment screws for the rear hatch needed to be turned out to tighted up the rear hatch contact. I guess the rubber seal gets a little worn out and causes the door to "slam" when wheeling, even though it's closed. Loosen the set-nut and give them 1/2 turns. Each time, close the rear hatch. If you get to the point the hatch does not latch, back off 1/2 turn and you should be good. Every now and then if I slam down on something, I will hear it again.

Also, check your uppper shock mounts. If they are loose, they will cause the creek noise. I had both of these issues, so I'm not sure exactly which one it was since I fixed them both at the same time. :dunno:

I think that you are the winner:clap:
I just rode in the back and can see the door move when we hit bumps. I can hold it tight and get rid of the noise.

Also check the hinges,thats where my 2000 rattles from.

Thanks guys, I slid the U lock bracket forward as far as it would go and that tightened the door up. It was the door lock assy bouncing on the U bracket. Everything is tight again.

Back