• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 last issue need help on steering!

boss hoss

NAXJA Forum User
so in my 89 xj the whole steering Column moves, instead of being adjustable some pin broke inside and now it rotates 360 deg, i have one out of a 93 that was wrecked, but how far do i have to go just to replace that piece? all the way down to steering box? or can it be down right by dash? i dont want to take more off then i have to, and also, when it starts u have to do it in burst, u cant hold ignition, if you do it wont try to start, and everytime i try to start it batts dead but i have full volts coming from altenator, but have gone through 3 good batts, bad ground maybe? and the tailight doesnt work but bulbs bneen replaced, and its just the one? if u can help any those prob help plz! thnx a bunch

Your problem is with the tilt. You'll have to pull the wheel, lock plate, disconnect signal plug underneath and pull signal switch out past the shaft. Then you'll be able to pull the tilt pins. You can do that with a wood screw and a pair of dikes. That's where you'll find the knuckle on the shaft. It's held in by a four bolt flange. They're star bolts, make sure you've got a set of star sockets. Tighten them up and reassemble. It's cake, really.

Oh, and you'll have to relieve the tilt spring. If I'm not mistaken, you push in with a flat head screw driver (it's a square hole) and quarter turn to the left.

Back